no eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Noeggs, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Noeggs

Noeggs New Egg

Sep 25, 2012
    echo louisiana
    i purchased 6 ameraucanas feb 14 2012, guessed age 1 week old. i am feeding laying pellets, corn and milo...still no eggs!!! can someone tell me how much longer i should wait for eggs before i give up??? i also purchsed at easter time 10 redsex links and 5 yellow buffs, they are not laying either... our weather has cooled some, temp around 90 today..

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Six months is a good average but not the rule. They aren't really that late yet. I am guessing it will be soon. I have had some of my hens start laying as late as 8 plus months. Day length and temp do affect them. Make sure they are getting enough protein.

Laying feed does not help them start laying, it is for birds who ARE laying. I would not feed them that until ALL of your birds are laying. Lay feed has calcium in it and if your birds are not expelling that calcium through egg production then it builds up in their system and over time can cause kidney failure and problems with egg shell formation.

I would recommend putting your layer feed into storage for now and buying a non-medicated grower or flock raiser with a container of calcium on the side (oyster shell would be great). This way as your birds start to lay they still have the calcium they need but your non-laying birds won't be eating it.

Good luck. I would imagine you will have eggs soon. Keep us posted.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] X2 on the above posts advice.

4. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

are you positive you don't have a batch of roosters? XD i thought one of my chickens was a pullet until he started crowing XD XD XD

5. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

oops i forgot
    [​IMG]

6. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    I would also just feed them the feed and stop adding the corn and milo for a while. They may be eating too much of that and not enough of the nutritious food. I know corn is OK but only in small quantities. Hope they start for you soon!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Great advice given :thumbsup

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

9. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi, [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

10. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Yeah, I agree with the posts about getting the nutrition right!
    Also, could they be hiding the eggs? Our chickens laid for a while without our knowledge because they were wandering off to somewhere in the undergrowth.

Good luck, I hope you start seeing some eggs soon... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by