No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dave8797, Jan 9, 2013.

1. dave8797

dave8797 New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    We have various breeds of about 30 chickens and the only one laying is a white Leghorn. I realize winter is slow due to lack of sunlight but really they have all pretty much shut down for the last 3 months now. I'm feeding them 16% layers crumbs, scratch and oyster shells. The hens are all year old or a little less. I know some breeds are better than some but with the following you would think more would be laying a few a week. We have Jersey Giants, Leghorns, Orpingtons, RIRs, Barred Rocks and Americanas. Even went as far as putting lights in their coops this last weekend to help with the cold and the lack of sunlight but still nothing but the one Leghorn is laying. I'm ready for any suggestions. Thanks

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    it takes 13-14 hours of light to get them to start laying. It may take up to 3 weeks before you see an increase in egg production.

I light my runs as well as my coops. This time of year i am breeding/hatching for the fall shows. I start in late October after the last show, adding 14 hours of light to my coops and runs. Even with added light, they do not lay like they do in the summer months.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Are they molting???

4. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    No expert by any means here, my girls are 24 weeks and just reached POL. IF you had a productive year with them, and they were all laying consistenly, I would imaging they are in their winter slow down/molting period.. It is natural to have this shut down after a long season of laying and producing for you. No hen can lay all year round. I wouldn't even bother with the lights, and just realize the days are getting longer and soon they will right back up to laying like machines for you. We will be reacing 10 hours of daylight by the end of the month, and I am sure you will see eggs in no time. I also have read that upping to a higher percentage protein layer will help your girls coming out of winter molt and slowdown. 18 to 20% might be good until laying resumes. Make sure you don't keep them on it too long though as this can produce problems with bumblefoot with prolonged feedings of high proteins.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes..
    MB

1 person likes this.
  5. lori stetson

lori stetson Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Bedford, VA
    It took about 2 weeks after I started my year old girls under lights for them to start laying again.

6. lori stetson

Dec 27, 2012
    Bedford, VA
    Here's one for you experts. I have 4 different pens containing light Brahmas, Auracanas, lavender orphingtons and black Australorps. Everyone except the Orphingtons - first timers - molted late summer/fall. Lights went on in Dec and laying began with Australorps

7. lori stetson

Dec 27, 2012
    Bedford, VA
    Daggone it! Ok Australorps were doing great with 4 to 5 eggs daily from 5 hens until 2 weeks ago. I haven.t had an egg from them since. They're roosting in the coop fine but no ones even sitting in the nests. Girls on either side are laying fine. Same feed, bedding, light, routine. They look great, eating fine, de-wormed after molt like everyone else. What do you think?

8. dave8797

dave8797 New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Thanks everyone. My hens all molted in October and it has been that long since most of them have laid eggs. I know I stressed them out a little when I seperated them into pens according to breed. I wanted to get them seperated because we are wanting to hatch eggs from my Jersey Giants, Lavender Orpingtons and the Americanas in March.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by