No Eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Payroll, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Payroll

Payroll Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    I have one 6 month old quail that is molting and hasn't laid for a couple weeks. Should I be concerned, or is this a normal part of molting, or just part of her getting older? I've never had a quail get this old before.

It's getting cold and the days are getting shorter, but the other younger quail is still laying (I only have two quail).

2. Payroll

Jun 10, 2013
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    [​IMG]

They can walk under the pile of leaves from one side of the cage to the others. They seem to like hiding under the leaves and they are chowing down on my basil plant in the corner.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  3. Weirdness555

Weirdness555 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    I'm pretty sure that most quail stop laying for a bit during moulting. Why have you never had a quail older than 6 months before? What species is it?

4. Payroll

Jun 10, 2013
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    They are coturnix quail. I buy about 6 in the spring, butcher the males once they become obvious, then butcher the rest in the fall. This year we decided to try to keep our favorite quail and see how she did as a pet.

5. Weirdness555

May 30, 2013
    They shouldn't stop laying outright until 2 years or so I don't think. Ours have stopped now for a winter break, and the first thing they've done is moult. I'm surprised you've never kept some on for egg laying/breeding before! Haha, I hope you enjoy her :)

6. Payroll

Jun 10, 2013
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Still no eggs, but she is back to her chirpy self now that she is done moulting.

Here is a picture of her winter castle in our living room.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  7. Weirdness555

May 30, 2013
    How long is she under light for? Under 14 hours and she probably won't lay now for winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by