No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by modelo, Dec 19, 2013.

1. modelo

modelo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    My chickens have completely stopped laying eggs. No eggs for a month... It's cold and they rarely leave coop with the snow. Do I need to add a heat lamp or some type of light? Or just wait for longer warmer days?

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Both of those things, heat lamp and light lamp, would help with egg production. With the increased darkness and colder temperatures, hen's laying will slow down and often stop. They will start back up again in the spring if you choose to give them the winter off. Good luck!

3. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    If you would like them to start laying again and not have to wait till spring I would recommend first trying a regular light ,not heat lamp, as it is safer and still gives some extra warmth, also heat surprisingly my not be the issue. Also if the coop is too much warmer they really won't come outside and if they do the big change in temp can be bad for them. I would put it on a timer so they have 14-16 hrs. of light a day. That should start them back up.

Also if you are able to wrap their run in clear plastic that will get them out of the coop. It seems to be that the snow and wind bothers them more than the cold. They will get exercise, have access to dirt, not get on each other's nerves, not make such a mess in the coop, etc. It is just all around healthier for them. I went through this same situation and these two things worked beautifully for me. If this doesn't work and you can tell they are suffering from the cold temp (ex: barely moving around) then you may need to research your different options for a safe way to bring warmth to them. Best of Luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. PolkaDot77

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    x2 Definitely start with the light lamp and a wind block is a great idea!

5. modelo

Dec 4, 2013
    Recommendations on what type of light I should use? Thanks!

6. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    Right now I am using just a regular 75 watt incandescent light bulb and that has worked great [​IMG]

7. PolkaDot77

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Like Fawn and Fam, I am also using a regular old white light bulb on a timer to come on before sunrise and stay on after sunset. I also have another lamp that has a 250 watt red heat bulb that comes on at night. :)

8. modelo

Dec 4, 2013
    How soon should I expect to see eggs if no light has been the issue and I give them light?

9. GarthRyan

GarthRyan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    My chickens have also stopped laying with the exception of one that'll lay every other day or so. I'm gonna have to try out the white light!

10. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    That is a good question. I'm not sure because mine had only stopped for a week then I started the light and they started back up right away. Hopefully it will be soon but I really don't know since it has been a month since they stopped. I hope someone that knows will respond to this question, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by