No Eggs???

AllisonK

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
We have 8 chickens. I was told 4 of them were 3.5 months (for sure) when we got them and the others were about a month older so 4.5 months (not for sure). It has been 3 months and no one is laying yet.
sad.png
Several of them have very full and red comb and wattles (the younger bunch). Two have been red and full for almost a month now. One or two have really no change in their comb/wattles that I can tell. One is a polish and well I can't really see her comb there are so many feathers on her head. Am I just being impatient? Are there reasons they would not lay other than being broody or molting. Which I don't think any of them are.
smile.png

Just really wanting eggs.
smile.png

In case the info is important they are
older bunch:
polish
unsure (easter egger maybe)
2 easter eggers

younger:
2 RIR
1 polish
1 golden sexlink

Thanks!

smile.png
Most of mine started at 16 weeks and then I had some who took 19 weeks.Its so hard to wait for the first egg! I think we are like expecting parents!
wink.png
I loved every minute of it and still do!!
Vikki

Are you SURE you have hens? If in doubt, post pictures here. Lots of very knowledgeable folks can advise you.

How confident are you of the ages of your first group - that they were 3.5 months when you got them? Is it possible they were 3.5 weeks? If so, they would just now be coming into the earliest time they might begin laying...

Those are my best guesses.

Im having the same trouble. My "hens" are 21 weeks tomorrow, and i have no eggs. I'm sure ive done everything right.. nest eggs and boxes. I have 3 that look way different than the other 6. There combs are HUGE and bright red, dont know if there roos or they are hens getting ready to lay. They were supposed to be the same age since i ordered them from the hatchery right?

The younger batch I am pretty sure on age. I bought them from the local 4H poultry guy. He breeds them. A friend also bought some from him and hers are laying but I need to ask her if she bought the younger batch or older batch. The other 4 I am more unsure on age (the woman was not sure) but they were much much bigger than the others when we bought them. I have pictures on here somewhere that I posted a while ago I will see if I can find them. I sure hope they are hens but there has been no crowing and last time I posted pics no one said they looked like roos.

You didn't mention where you live, Allison. It could be the lengthening of days has their cycles tuned down? I know some people keep a light on in the coop to artificially replace the sun - make longer days and encourage laying.

What do you feed them?

I am also waiting for my first ever chickens to begin laying, so I am by no means an expert, just remembering posts from more experienced chicken owners.... Why haven't any of them jumped on this yet ???

I live in Vancouver, WA. The chickens have been getting up (going into the run) around 5ish and going to bed around 7. They are eating layer pellets, kitchen scraps, they have some oyster shell but only one or two eat it, they get to free range at least an hour a day.

Still patiently waiting. I wish I could put a light in the coop but thats just not an option for me.

The range for when they start laying seems to be pretty wide. I've seen posts from as early as 16 weeks to 6 months and even sometimes later. Kind of like with human females.

Since none of them have begun laying, and you have a variety of breeds, I wonder if it might be something more environmental... Like the days getting shorter. I remember a post saying they like classical music. At this point it might be worth an experiment.
tongue.png

Is there any possibility they have a hiding place?

I keep responding to bring your question back up to the top of the list. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to shed some light on what might be going on.
wink.png

Im also sitting at 24 weeks- no eggs. I have a black sex 2rir and a wels. I live in CA, maybe its the west coast thats having a problem. It is getting darker alot sooner here, so im worried they will go into their egg laying hibernation before I get my first one.. Good luck, keep those fingers crossed
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom