1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No Eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Granny Gwen, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Granny Gwen

Granny Gwen New Egg

Nov 21, 2014
    My hens are 27 weeks old or older, they have not yet laid any eggs. I am giving them laying mess, oyster shell, and cracked corn. We have been giving them salad greens from the garden as well. any advise for me? ( I bought these chickens back in Sept. and was told they were 17 weeks old) My first set of hens started producing eggs right at 20 weeks. unfortunately the neighbors dog took all nine of my little peeps out of this world, I missed them so much my husband bought me these pre- adult gals, but they just arent producing any eggs :(

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am sorry about the dog and your losses. [​IMG] Lots of things may be going on here with your new birds. They may not be 17 weeks old yet. There could be too much stress around the coop for them to lay, or maybe they are laying in secret nests outside somewhere. Maybe some critter is stealing the eggs and eating them. Health issues will stop them from laying as well. Molting will also stop the laying, although your birds should be done with that at this age.

Do your birds have bright red combs and wattles, and do they squat when you lean over them? Some breeds can wait until they are 7 months of age to lay. And the shortening of the days can cause some breeds to slow down to a crawl on the laying.

Stop by this thread on why they may not be laying and maybe you can gleen some info from here...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Enjoy your new flock! I know they are not your original babies, but they can be just as affectionate after time. Make sure to spend time with them on their level and sit on the floor or ground with them. Bring some goodies to feed them to help them bond with you. Eventually they will be all over your lap and look so forward to seeing you.

Welcome to our flock!

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

X 2 to TwoCrows great information above!
    Also, if your avatar picture is your flock you do have at least one rooster in the mix - are you certain the birds you are waiting to get eggs from are all female? If not, you can post photos of the birds and we can help you with that.

4. Granny Gwen

Granny Gwen New Egg

Nov 21, 2014
    Yes I am most sure they are females. That picture was taken about a month ago. They will not go in the nesting boxes either. so different from my little peeps I lost. They are getting use to me for I do go sit on a low stool in the coop. they will come up to my feet and check me out. only one will let me pick her up, she is the smallest of the group. I will try to post more recent pictures later today. Thank You

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It may be the age was not quite what you were told (happens a lot) - if the photo was taken about a month ago that would make the birds about 23 weeks old in the photo and at least the two in front of the rooster do not look quite that old/mature from what can be seen there. If that is the case it would explain the seeming delay in production. Look forward to seeing the photos you are able to post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by