No eggshell-needs calcium?

Adams1

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2022
My 25 week old susex if laying eggs with no shells? Just a sack full of egg whites and yoke. Iv found 7 total, 2 of witch were from today! The birds have been laying just fine, if she was calcium deficient I would expect a soft shell? Is it a chance that there’s just no shell, she seems a little bit skinny and I’ve been giving her vitamin B&C and she has a full crop does she just need some extra calcium? Or- could something more serious be going on? I’ve also noticed some of my Black Australorps dark brown eggs have been getting a bit lighter? I think I might have to take these little lady’s to the vet! (Ouch my wallet hurts already)

Attachments

• 478FB051-0354-43B8-B7B6-3BA5CCB35BAE.jpeg
    478FB051-0354-43B8-B7B6-3BA5CCB35BAE.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 9
  • B1E55C70-6C54-47C7-8BCC-363DED2A5C52.jpeg
    B1E55C70-6C54-47C7-8BCC-363DED2A5C52.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 1
Ps- She had a little to no interest free ranging today and chose to stay in the run, and also has a minor limp??

Eggs get lighter in color as the laying cycle progresses so I wouldn't worry about that. The other photo you posted is a bit concerning. New layers often have issues such as eggs without shells or soft-shelled eggs. Its not necessarily a calcium issue just a matter of the hen's body getting the hang of laying. I haven't seen what is in your photo though so you will have to wait for an expert opinion on that one.

There's always an outside chance of something serious but rare going on. But we focus our attention instead on more common causes and treat for those, odds being in our favor.

This lack of shell is almost always a glitch in the "machine parts" of a new layer. It's very often easily corrected with a calcium supplement for a few days. The results very quickly appear so we'll know soon if this will work for your novice layer.

Get some of this.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
It's calcium citrate, a most easily absorbed form of calcium. It can directly fine tune a new layer's cycle so that she can get her assembly line up to optimum speed. One tablet daily directly into the beak for three consecutive days to begin with. Close monitoring of her eggs will tell us if she needs a few additional days on the calcium.

My 25 week old susex if laying eggs with no shells? Just a sack full of egg whites and yoke. Iv found 7 total, 2 of witch were from today! The birds have been laying just fine, if she was calcium deficient I would expect a soft shell? Is it a chance that there’s just no shell, she seems a little bit skinny and I’ve been giving her vitamin B&C and she has a full crop does she just need some extra calcium? Or- could something more serious be going on? I’ve also noticed some of my Black Australorps dark brown eggs have been getting a bit lighter? I think I might have to take these little lady’s to the vet! (Ouch my wallet hurts already)
Sorry you're dealing with this. It's frustrating at best and frightening at worst. @azygous gave great advice (as is the norm). I'd dose the Sussexes directly as she describes. I'm assuming they are either on layer feed and/or have free choice oyster shell, right? If not, I'd get that going asap.

As far as the lighter brown eggs, that is normal as they near the end if their laying cycle.

There's always an outside chance of something serious but rare going on. But we focus our attention instead on more common causes and treat for those, odds being in our favor.

This lack of shell is almost always a glitch in the "machine parts" of a new layer. It's very often easily corrected with a calcium supplement for a few days. The results very quickly appear so we'll know soon if this will work for your novice layer.

Get some of this. View attachment 3340767It's calcium citrate, a most easily absorbed form of calcium. It can directly fine tune a new layer's cycle so that she can get her assembly line up to optimum speed. One tablet daily directly into the beak for three consecutive days to begin with. Close monitoring of her eggs will tell us if she needs a few additional days on the calcium.
Sorry you're dealing with this. It's frustrating at best and frightening at worst. @azygous gave great advice (as is the norm). I'd dose the Sussexes directly as she describes. I'm assuming they are either on layer feed and/or have free choice oyster shell, right? If not, I'd get that going asap.

As far as the lighter brown eggs, that is normal as they near the end if their laying cycle.
They actually just got in my oyster shells today! I’ve ordered them a lot earlier lost them, & forgot about it… they are on layer feed and all is well? Those she does seem skinny not just like mildly skinny like a lot skinnier than the other Sussex which I’m basing her weight off considering my other Sussex is small she is petite same body size just a lot skinnier?? Also the tip of her very large and spiky comb it’s going a bit pail, with a grayish yellow undertone!!! Ugghghgh I can’t take knowing she is not 100 percent

Back
Top Bottom