No electric and want heat

Chickie_Momma_91

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
I’m really wanting some Serama babies for my fancies coop. However they are going to need heat. I have no power and no outlet outdoors to run a cord from. Any inventive and not $1000 solutions? It doesn’t need to be crazy warm, but enough that our nights dipping into single digits sometimes doesn’t let the coop get below freezing.

If you are worried I would just run an extension cord and buying a chicken safe heater. They do have mr buddy heaters that run off propane some are safe for indoors. But you then run into problems might have to build a box around it so it doesn't get knocked over. If these a permanent areas and you own your property and aren't renting. I personally would just bury some electrical cord with pvc conduit and make a glorified extension cord. Basically that's what I did with mine.

Attachments

• 20201206_161640.jpg
    20201206_161640.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 5
If you are worried I would just run an extension cord and buying a chicken safe heater. They do have mr buddy heaters that run off propane some are safe for indoors. But you then run into problems might have to build a box around it so it doesn't get knocked over. If these a permanent areas and you own your property and aren't renting. I personally would just bury some electrical cord with pvc conduit and make a glorified extension cord. Basically that's what I did with mine.
USE-2 or even URD is likely cheaper, and doesn't require conduit, being designed for direct burial - but at that point, you might as well hard wire a panel to the barn. Play nice with the Building Inspector and the permit people, set aside a few extra dollars for the tax man.

(I'm doing this soon, actually). Need to measure my "spare" RHW-2 wire, hope I have enough.

Back
Top Bottom