No electric and want heat

Chickie_Momma_91

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
I’m really wanting some Serama babies for my fancies coop. However they are going to need heat. I have no power and no outlet outdoors to run a cord from. Any inventive and not $1000 solutions? It doesn’t need to be crazy warm, but enough that our nights dipping into single digits sometimes doesn’t let the coop get below freezing.

WonkierZulu

Songster
Dec 29, 2020
Washington State
If you are worried I would just run an extension cord and buying a chicken safe heater. They do have mr buddy heaters that run off propane some are safe for indoors. But you then run into problems might have to build a box around it so it doesn't get knocked over. If these a permanent areas and you own your property and aren't renting. I personally would just bury some electrical cord with pvc conduit and make a glorified extension cord. Basically that's what I did with mine.

Attachments

• 20201206_161640.jpg
    20201206_161640.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 3

U_Stormcrow

Free Ranging
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
If you are worried I would just run an extension cord and buying a chicken safe heater. They do have mr buddy heaters that run off propane some are safe for indoors. But you then run into problems might have to build a box around it so it doesn't get knocked over. If these a permanent areas and you own your property and aren't renting. I personally would just bury some electrical cord with pvc conduit and make a glorified extension cord. Basically that's what I did with mine.
USE-2 or even URD is likely cheaper, and doesn't require conduit, being designed for direct burial - but at that point, you might as well hard wire a panel to the barn. Play nice with the Building Inspector and the permit people, set aside a few extra dollars for the tax man.

(I'm doing this soon, actually). Need to measure my "spare" RHW-2 wire, hope I have enough.

Top Bottom