No Electricity And Babys

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by BrettMO, Jan 31, 2011.

1. BrettMO

BrettMO Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Nevada, MO
    How do i keep the newborn baby pigions warm enough to servive without electricity

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Post a thousand times on BYC asking how to keep them warm...that should help [​IMG]

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    You don't need electricity unless you are handfeeding them.

4. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Most of the time the parents can keep them warm enough, depending of course just what the temps are. Worse thing is a chilly wind on them. I am in a typically cold winter climate and just lost a single Indian Fantail squab that made it until it was 1 1/2 weeks old. For some reason the parents apparently didn't keep it covered over nite and the poor thing chilled and died. I normally separate my pairs in the winter and pair back up when warm weather returns. I believe the break from breeding does them good.

5. BrettMO

BrettMO Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Nevada, MO
    Ok i dident know to leave them with their parents i treated them like the chickens when the babys hatch i take them inside and this is the first time she laid eggs so i dident know to seprate them i dident know if they were enve a pair i thought they were both boys.

6. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Oh boy. Well you're in for a lot of work :p You'll need to hand feed them baby bird formula (Kaytee Exact, for example) every 2 hours and gradually feed less as they get closer to weaning age (a month old).

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Can't you give the babies back to the parents?? [​IMG]

8. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    If they haven't been out of the loft very long, yes. But soon they will forget about them. For example, if you were to put them in the nest now, days later, they'd just look at them [​IMG] I wouldn't take the babies away from the nest any longer than an hour. I guess how long they stay devoted depends on the birds.

9. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    Why did you take them away?, Nevermind i see your second post

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  10. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I kept my baby meat chickens in the laundry room for the first 2 weeks with a heat lamp. Gotta clean their box every day though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by