No Electricity ??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tala, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It's raining, not even storming, and my electricity is flickering. My flock is just over a week old so what can I do if the power goes out??

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    They will be fine for several hours. If you have some hay you can make
    a nest for them to help conserve the heat.

Chick are tougher than people give them credit for. [​IMG]

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    place them in a small box, bring in the house. they can keep each other warm in a smaller area like a box.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Good idea, they can conserve body heat in a smaller area. I should have known that.
    There's a big grey cloud moving over so this could get worse before better, but since we're in the city power outages don't last very long.

5. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    One thing to note:

Gail Damerow reccommends turning the light off for 30 minutes each day. This makes sure that they don't freak out when the power goes off.

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    If it's really cool/cold and the outage will be very long you can fill some 2-liter softdrink bottles, milk jugs, jars, etc., up with hot water (while you have it) and place in the brooder with the chicks. They'll gather around the heat if they need it.

"Ye ol' hotwater bottle"...

Just a thought,
    Ed

7. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

If the room is warm, they'll be ok for a while. We lost power for 24 hours yesterday, and the chicks were w/o light for a half hour before we got the generator going (best purchase EVER). I moved them to the center of the room, and with the fireplace on they stayed toasty warm!

Sonja

8. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Remember they send chicks in a box that can take up to 3 days and they can still survive. They use their heat to make each other warm. I would make sure they are in a box without a whole lot of room so their warmth stays within the box and they should be fine. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't shivering or look like they are extremely cold. I am sure they will do fine. [​IMG] that your electric doesn't go out or at least not for too long. Good luck.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It came back on quickly, so they didn't get cold.

Thanks for all the quick replies, you guys are a lifesaver!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by