No energy tonight and diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rich Marshall, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    My 18 month old hen has no energy tonight and diarrhea, today was the first day that we got a shell less egg so not too sure if that is related....help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she new to your property, or have you added other chickens from somewhere else lately? Sometimes older chickens can get coccidiosis if they exposed to new strains by the reasons stated previously, since their are 9 strains affecting chickens. I would check her for lice and mites because that can make them very weak, along with a worm load. Next, I would check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it was empty. She may need some extra calcium since she is laying shell-less eggs. You can crush up a calcium tablet or grind an eggshell or two and put it in some wet food. Does she have any symptoms of internal laying? That can lead to egg yolk peritonitis if eggs break inside. I mentioned all of these things to look for since all can make a chicken weak and sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by