No Feathers? Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yankeedoodle300, Oct 2, 2011.

1. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    My Buff Orp. girls seem to be molting, but one of them has HUGE amount of feathers missing on her neck, wing and tail/vent.
    we have seen BIG black cats around it, and im worried. anyone have any advice on how to heal her, and how to fix
    the feather missing-ness. the other girls are pretty as hens can be, but this one is So ugly. i'll post pics when i can.

2. yankeedoodle300

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    oh yeah, they dont free range

3. yankeedoodle300

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Please Help! [​IMG]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have heard that feather mites hang out around those areas.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sometimes fowl moult really fast, like overnight fast, and sometimes it`s so slow that you can hardly tell it. They even seem to change methods from year to year. Sometimes they even moult in the dead of winter. Strange how that happens, but it does. If they seem healthy otherwise, just increase their protein intake a little. Three to four morsels of cheap dry catfood per bird, twice a week should help. Don`t overdo the protein........Pop

6. yankeedoodle300

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:they have been dewormed, but i don't think its a mite because the others would have it too, because they sleep huddled together since its cold here( 60-35 degrees ) . and if they were molting would it not be everywhere? im confused [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    If you have checked her for mites and lice and she has none, then it is just a molt. Like Pop said, sometimes it can come on fast, or in odd places first. i've had hens molt from the head down, or one side, or all the tail feathers fall out. And it can be just one hen in your pen that is molting. i wouldn't worry, but maybe post pictures for clarity.

BTW - You can have a case where just one hen has a serious mite infection. Generally if one has them, all in the pen will have them, but to varying degrees. i've found that some chickens are just more susceptible and will end up with more mites than her pen mates.

8. yankeedoodle300

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I will check for mites, and try to post a pic... but what about the big cat?

9. yankeedoodle300

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I will TRY to post a pic. I "mite" not Do it.

( Pun intended )

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:If they don't free range, how would the cat get to her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by