No feathers, I'm Worried

jayjay

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Essex, UK
Hi all,

Over the last couple of days i have noticed that my Black Sussex has no feathers around her vent. I am not sure if they have been pulled out or if she is just loosing them. There is also some red sore skin. Apart from this she is still quite happy, lively and alert. She is eating and drinking well and you would not know anything is wrong.

I have wormed her and checked for mites but cannot see anything. I have heard of hens molting but am not sure if this is the case here as i am new to chickens and still learning. Can anyone give me any ideas please.

Thanks

I've had mine to do the same...just molting, nothing to worry about IMO, Is she laying? not sure how old she is....

I've had mine to do the same...just molting, nothing to worry about IMO, Is she laying? not sure how old she is....

Hi and thanks for your reply. She is about 35 weeks old, not long started to lay. She is laying still. I was really concerned because she looks so sore in places, red raw and weeping a bit. She does not seem ill in any way. I have never seen a hen molt before so this is a bit of a shock.
Thanks for your help.

Thank you Pumpkin King.

I now realise i am not alone with this problem. Really appreciate your help.

Jayjay

While watching them today i saw one of the others peck at her. Not sure if it is because she is so bare at the moment or if this is the reason for the loss of feathers??????

Back
Top Bottom