1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No feathers on chest...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cecilia, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Cecilia

Cecilia Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Hiya;

I'm a relatively new chicken owner (1 week today!) with what seems to be an overwhelming amount of problems! Just today I noticed that one of my chickens has no more feathers on her breast/chest area...She was taking what I thought was a dirt bath, but then I picked her up and there were no feathers! Is this molting? WHY! I live in southern ontario in Canada, so it's getting cold pretty quick, and she'll need all the insulation she can get...She's acting kind of funny, too. She's just sitting down (as though she were laying) and sleeping (with her beak in her wing).

WHAT IS THIS!

Should I be any more concerned than I already am?

Also; I have no roosters, so it can't be that!

OKay! Please tell me this is nting to be concerned about, or if it is, how I can help her.

cecilia

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    what does it look like? is it red like raw skin or just not a lot of feathers. other chickens could be picking on it or could be molting. it happens to every one. hang in there

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Might be going broody.... some chickens pull their feathers out so they can keep eggs extra warm! Is she sitting on a nest? Does she tell you off when you come close? Does she stick her butt in the air?? All signs of going broody.

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    duh. i should have thought of that.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Definitely a broody thing...Miss MoneyPenny's naked too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by