No feathers on chickens' necks??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CochinLover1, May 23, 2016.

1. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    They are not molting. They have no pin feathers on there necks and it seems to be getting worse. I haven't seen any signs of mites or skin irritation. They have been missing their feathers since the ending of February, which was when I started noticing. It is only a couple of birds but would like to know what the heck is going on.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Do you keep a rooster? Can you post a few pictures of your birds?

3. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    I will post pictures when able. Roosters and hens have it. It's definitely not a mating mark. Their necks are naked like ostriches.

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Is it all the way around or just patchy? Is it allmyour birds? How many? I had a feather picker once who had a preference for neck feathers and would pick on the birds when they were roosting. Some birds would just let her, others would move away. You might sit and observe after tey roost to see if that might be happening.

5. ehunter

ehunter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    I'm dealing with the same thing. A few of my girls have some missing spots on the neck or thinned out areas on the neck. I sprinkle DE throughout the coop and haven't seen any mites, etc. Theyre totally healthy otherwise, but look a bit scraggly. I don't have a roo and haven't noticed more pecking than usual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by