1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No feathers on her butt/back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by accoladryn, May 28, 2017.

1. accoladryn

accoladryn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    I have several pullets who have picked the feathers off their back/tail area. I have assumed it's parasites, and put some DE where they dust bathe... but it's hard to tell if the problem is fixed? I saw one with a little drop of blood, like she'd picked at a feather again, but couldn't figure out if it was because of new feathers coming in or remaining parasites, or something else entirely. I don't see any bugs on them, but I might not know what I'm looking for. TIA!

Adryan

Attached Files:

2. Poultrybreeder

Poultrybreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2017
    this usually means that they are crowded out and have begun eating feathers as a result, put vaseline on the areas they are pecking to help it heal and make their feathers taste bad to others chicks. Also try giving them more space

3. accoladryn

accoladryn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    They have a good amount of space, but they were in a brooder before this and maybe stayed there a bit too long. Needed to introduce them to my older ladies and was nervous about them getting picked on, so I probably procrastinated longer than I should :( thanks for the info, I'll put some salve on the area that could help.

4. Poultrybreeder

Poultrybreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2017
    no problem, I hope they stop the eating each other's feathers for you :fl

accoladryn likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by