No feathers on her butt/back

accoladryn

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2016
I have several pullets who have picked the feathers off their back/tail area. I have assumed it's parasites, and put some DE where they dust bathe... but it's hard to tell if the problem is fixed? I saw one with a little drop of blood, like she'd picked at a feather again, but couldn't figure out if it was because of new feathers coming in or remaining parasites, or something else entirely. I don't see any bugs on them, but I might not know what I'm looking for. TIA!

Adryan

Attachments

• IMG_5714.JPG
    IMG_5714.JPG
    522.2 KB · Views: 13
this usually means that they are crowded out and have begun eating feathers as a result, put vaseline on the areas they are pecking to help it heal and make their feathers taste bad to others chicks. Also try giving them more space

They have a good amount of space, but they were in a brooder before this and maybe stayed there a bit too long. Needed to introduce them to my older ladies and was nervous about them getting picked on, so I probably procrastinated longer than I should :( thanks for the info, I'll put some salve on the area that could help.

Back
Top Bottom