no feathers...sores

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Livlif2itsfulest, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Livlif2itsfulest

Livlif2itsfulest Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    Ashland
    I have a 2 bantam frizzle cochin hens that are all of a sudden missing feathers... It does look like where the rooster holds them while doing his deed. What do I do? Is it wise to find them a new home? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    In the first pic...is that an infected sore I see?
    No, no need to find them a new home. Purchase some chicken saddles and they will protect their back.
    Rooster to hen ratio is normally 1 roo per 10 hens. You might want to rehome your roo or get more hens.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  3. Livlif2itsfulest

Oct 4, 2010
    Ashland
    I have 6 hens and 4 ducklings, 2 chicks, 1 roo

4. Livlif2itsfulest

Oct 4, 2010
    Ashland
    Yes it is a sore (looks like from a claw) how to a help that?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I would soften the sore by putting a warm damp washcloth on the sore for about 15-20 minutes. Then squeeze the heck out of it and get all the pus out. Put the warm damp washcloth on it again for 10 minutes to draw out any leftover pus, then squeeze the heck out of it again. Flush it with 50/50 betadine/water solution. Then if you can, pack the sore with neosporin (without pain reliever.) Dont bandage the sore and keep the area clean. Keep the hen seperated til the sore heals, the others will pick on the wound if you dont keep her seperated. Clean the sore as necessary with the betadine/water solution and repack with neosporin.

6. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    i agree with dawg, the hen saddles realy do help a lot, a friend of mine used them and cant say enough good things about them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by