No feathers!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hollywood Chickens, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have a 6 week old chick that I think is a Wyandotte, but she doesn't have any feathers!!!! not even pins!!!

I thought maybe she was getting pecked, so I put her with chicks 2 week younger then her and she still didn't get any feathers, so I put her back with her siblings and she got a pecked badly. She is isolated for now until the pecks heal.

As a 2 week old chick:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and now:
    [​IMG]

She is from Mypetchicken.com

Thank you!

2. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I have no idea! Seems so strange... Maybe she's a late bloomer or (lets hope not) a failure to thrive... Heres BuMp. Lets hope someone knows something and can help!

3. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    Are you SURE she's a chicken? I ordered from MPC and had a very unfuzzy chick, gangly and looked to be a lot younger than the rest...turns out my mystery chick was a pheasant.

4. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    My Salmon Faverolle from MPC was that way. She is pretty now (she's my avatar) but she is very small and lays small eggs. I had to keep her seperate until she was several months old and had feathers because the others picked at her so much. She is now very spoiled and thinks she is a person and not a chicken and she comes in the house every chance she gets [​IMG]
    Don't give up on your baby, just give it lots of extra special attention and it will hopefully turn out just as mine did.

Billie Jo

5. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Now that you mention it, she might not be a chicken!! I will have to look into it!

6. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a columbian wyandotte hatched 4/12 from MPC that is similar: She looks almost like a frizzle now..... She is slowly starting to feather out and I'm hopeful by winter she'll have enough feathering to do well! Keep us all posted....

at 4 weeks of age
    [​IMG]

at 6-7 weeks old
    [​IMG]

at about 9 weeks old and she has a bit more feathering now at 12 weeks old but I don't have a more current pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  7. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Well, I am just going to keep her and see what happens!

8. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    the amount of time to feather a chick can be reduced by using a high protein feed like game bird feed and hard boiled eggs are about 25 % protein

9. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    They are not on a high protein feed, but thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by