No feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jayjay, Sep 21, 2012.

1. jayjay

jayjay Chirping

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Hi all,

I have 3 sussex in 1 coop. The ring leader is very healthy however she is plucking the feathers from the other 2. These 2 have no feathers underneath or round their backside. They are very alert and have great coombs and do not seem to be ill at all. I have thought of taking the ring leader out but then she will be on her own. Is this a good idea? They have all lived together since hatch but for some reason she is really asserting her authority.

2. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Songster

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Your best bet is to buy some hen saddles, which protects their backs from pecking issues. Your other option is to apply blu-cote to their bare backs and where ever the feathers are missing. Its not as pretty as a hen saddle, but you can spray it anywhere you want, where as a saddle only covers the back. To buy hen saddles, go here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...diapers-harnesses-great-prices-check-them-out They are very cheap and GREAT quality, I bought 2 and to this day they are in great condition! You can find blu-cote at your local feed store in the chicken/horse section.

3. jayjay

jayjay Chirping

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Thanks so much for the info i will try it. Does it matter if you spray it on areas that are sore? Some parts look very red.
    Its so good to get help here, i am still learning a lot.

4. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Yes, spray it on the open wounds. My girl Gloria had a nasty case of maggots that had infested her leg, and it was a raw, open wound. After cleaning out all the maggots, we sprayed it with blu-cote. Healed right over. Make sure you read the directions on the package! blu-cote stains ANYTHING really bad, so make sure you do it outside on a layer of newspapers. And wear gloves and old clothes incase you don't aim good... you don't wanna come walking out looking like the blue man group! :)

5. jayjay

jayjay Chirping

Mar 11, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Thanks so much for your help and yes your right i can just imagine walking in to teach my next lesson with a blue face.
    I will go out tomorrow and see if i can get some to give it a try.
    Thanks again, i really appreciate it.

6. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Goodluck! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by