No feed available

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Island Juli, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Island Juli

Island Juli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2016
    The joys of living in Hawaii. No feed on the island for 2 weeks and I am down to 100 lbs of feed (some shipping SNAFU). With 100+ in my flock I am going to have to ration. They do free-range, but I've got 30 at POL that I'd like to make sure they are getting enough feed.

I do have a few thousand mealworms I can supplement with for some protein, but they won't last long.

Frustrated!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  2. alc245

alc245 Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Good luck! Two of our family members lived on Kona for 6 years and everything is so much more expensive because of it being an island of course! But I bet it's beautiful there! Hope it works out!

3. Krs Yng Chicks

Krs Yng Chicks Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    South West Florida
    That is a bummer, Island Julie. [​IMG]

I guess sometimes "living in paradise" is not all what people imagine. I hope you find a solution, perhaps someone you know has a stash they would be willing to share? I can certainly understand your concern. Hope it works out.

Kris

4. Island Juli

Jan 25, 2016
    I found some layer pellets, but I've got 40-50 4 to 12-week-olds running around, plus 6 roosters, so I don't really want to do it. It will be a last resort kind of thing.

Yes, living on the island has it perks, but shipping issues are an ongoing problem. Even more so now that hurricane season has started.

I don't like stockpiling feed with the humidity we have. Many times the bottom of the bag is moldy and it's wasted.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you looked around for hog/pig feed, all stock sweet feed even a horse feed? They will be a little lower protein but they will be just fine for a stop gap feed for a few weeks, and if you can find some high protein fish or bean meal to toss on top or even grind up some dry cat food to put on top that would be find for even longer...

Even dry dog food run through a blender will be fine as a stop gap feed... Or some wild bird seed, scratch and/or cracked corn mixed 50/50 with ground up dry cat food will work...

The above won't be perfectly nutritionally balanced for a chickens needs and optimal production, but they are plenty good to hold over a chicken even for extended periods of time if necessary...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Island Juli

Jan 25, 2016
    Never thought of that, thanks!! I'll be giving our feed store a call in the morning.

I felt so bad rationing them that threw out double the amount of corn today, but I'm also on my last bag of corn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by