no fertile eggs for broody; what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by callmeskipper, May 13, 2008.

1. callmeskipper

callmeskipper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do for my broody BO if I can't give her fertile eggs to hatch? I just don't have the space (suburban neighborhood) to add any to my coop. We have a family of red-tailed hawks nearby, so I haven't even been able to let them out much (we have seen them swoop our back yard). The four were raised together and get along really nicely. I don't want to upset the balance. Thanks for any ideas.

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Buy some on BYC! Some people mail you the fertile eggs you want.

Not sure what you're referring to with the "balance of the 4 getting along". What are the other 3?

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you don't want chicks, just lock her out of the nest and don't let her sit. Make her uncomfortable at night and she'll snap out of it eventually. Make take awhile.

4. callmeskipper

May 8, 2008
    Thanks--I'll give it a try.

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I asked a friend and this is what he said

When they're laying, their in a "Fever State" so you place the Hen in some ice cold water to break the fever. Then you place them in another pen for the night. That should do it.

6. callmeskipper

May 8, 2008
    Thank you all for suggestions.

What I meant about the 4 chickens getting along is that I don't want to add more chickens and upset the balance. The other three are an Ameraucana, a Plymouth Barred Rock, and a Gold-Laced Wyandotte (and they're all "pals"). We got them together when they were only 2 days old, and they get along really well. I have noticed with some animals (particularly cats, which I used to show professionally) that when you add another animal to the existing group, it disturbs the balance (pecking order so to speak) and I have limited space so I can't expand my coop. On top of that, I have noticed a family of red-tailed hawks living in the trees about 2 properties away from ours, and we've already had a couple of close calls with them swooping down in our yard. Last weekend I had to run them back into the coop with a chicken under each arm![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by