No fertile eggs under my broody

amcconnell

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
My broody has been sitting for 7 days now and after candling the eggs......no fertile ones. I've ordered fertile eggs to place under her, which will be here in 2 days. Will this be too long for my hen to sit?

My broody had something similar. She sat on wooden eggs for a long time I'm gonna say 2 weeks, Then I gave her eggs from my flock but my rooster was only 21 weeks old and his eggs didn't develop so that was another 8 days. Then I gave her some fertile eggs though they came out of someone's incubator so that was only 2 more days but she is still sitting on the 3 that I left her. So she is at a minimum on 4 weeks and honestly I think maybe longer. I didn't keep track of when she started cause she just had wooden eggs that I leave in the next box anyway.

I did start giving her meal worm treats morning and night when I found her on the nest. I was trying to one reward good behavior (train) and two give her some dense calories so she wouldn't lose too much weight.

I think it completely depends on her disposition. Some don't even wait three weeks. This was her first sit and she's been a longevity champ but I'm wondering about her mothering skills.

If your shipped eggs are expensive I'd incubate them and give her maybe 3 to sit on.

If you can handle losing them, try it out, keep and eye on her. You can always move them to the bator if she breaks and you notice it early. Assuming your temps are moderate. It wouldn't work in really cold temps (my very inexperienced opinion.).

I can handle losing some so I think I'm going to put 6 under her and let nature take its course. Thanks for the input...it has been very helpful. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we will have some chicks. Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom