no fertility

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BairleaFarm, Nov 27, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Does a flock go infertile in the winter. My entire flock is producing duds. Plenty of roos to mate and they are mating.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My RIRs are doing great but my RIWs out of 42 eggs, 15 turned out to be not fertile.

3. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    is it a hen issue or a rooster issue?

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:????????????????????????????????? Are you breaking any eggs open to check the fertility? It also can depends where you live. During hot weather and during cold weather I find that the fertility decreases.

5. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    This is what ive got. All eggs from my flock. Same flock I hatched several from eariler this year. Nothing has changed but weather and the fact ive feed them more corn. Not just corn but ground corn with their regular feed. I though my bator was messed up but every time i looked temps were OK. I gave a friend 5 or 6 eggs and they did nothing as well. These pics are after 11 days in the bator i pulled them out a couple days ago so they are now room temp.

these pics are different eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You are right they don't look fertile. I noticed you live in Kentucky. What has the weather been like? That has affected my birds fertility. I have about 200 birds and chicks. Are the males ones that you have hatched out their chicks? If they are young then they may not be too fertile. They may be practicing and the fertility low. This hold true for pullets too. If they have started laying recently the eggs may not be fertile either. Just some suggestions.

7. Jobele

Jobele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Texas
    Weather definitely plays a BIG part in fertility of eggs. If your weather is fluctuating very much and frequently......that could be the problem.

8. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    have you cracked open a fresh egg to check for the bullseye?

9. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I havent checked fresh eggs because the wyandottes i just got should be fertile. I dont want to grab one of their eggs by mistake to check. Weather has been all over the place the last month. 20s-60s.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by