no food, no water, * update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ryansmommy83, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ryansmommy83

ryansmommy83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    So my completely lathargic hen hasnt stood up ate anything of drank anything or even pooped in 4 days. ive had her in a box for 4 days and ive been constantly monitoring her and before i get lectured again heres her stats
    I dont know how old she is i rescued her shes young though egg laying age
    shes a leghorn
    shes on lay crumbles 17 % protein
    not free range because of hawks and coyotes
    they get treats as far as veggies and peels
    I dont really have money for treatment but ive tried apples and dairy but she wont eat anything.

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE ? HELP ?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

have you tried using a dropper to get her to drink?

How about her crop? is it impacted? can you take pictures of her? Are her eyes clear/cloudy? How was she acting before 4 days ago?

I think there needs to be more information for others to go on in order to help you. Was she eating normally before 4 days ago? Laying at all? How are the other birds acting??

3. ryansmommy83

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    Quote:crops drooped ill ad pictures , eyes are all black , even with the dropper it comes right back out and before this all happend she was eatting just fine and laying an egg a day .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. HennysMom

it comes right back OUT? Like she throws it up?

That sounds to me like she has something stuck in her throat then or something is preventing her from eating/drinking.

PAGING MISS PRISSY / SPECKLED HEN / SILKIE CHICKEN

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh my.. nothing to eat in 4 days is not good. Hydration and nutrition is imperative. If she's not eating or drinking on her own, I think you're going to have to consider tube feeding her. This is a 2-person job, and it's not difficult, but it can be dangerous. I'd use it as a last resort. Try offering a smorgasbord of different items, and hopefully you can come up with SOMETHNG she'll be interested in. Yogurt, mashed bananas or other fruit, cooked egg yolk - all these are excellent sources of nutrition. If you can get her to eat SOMETHING, then it will surely help.

6. HennysMom

but if she's throwing things up as SOON as she drinks it... wouldnt that indicate a blockage somewhere? [​IMG]

Force feeding could be detrimental to her until its figured out why she's throwing things up immediately....

ETA: are her eyes supposed to be all black or are her pupils dialated fully?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  7. ryansmommy83

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    ive tried apples, yogurt, cooked rooster yolk, oatmeal , lettace, carrots, spaggetti noodles, banana, she just looks at me like im crazy. I even tried to make her vomit incase some was stuck in her throut, but only clear liquid came out.

8. ryansmommy83

Mar 8, 2009
    southern california
    Quote:pupils are dialated fully

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    She could have something stuck in her throat, without taking her to an avian vet, it may not be something the OP can know. I only put the tube feeding suggestion in as something to try...if she's not drinking or eating on her own, and she is not taken to a vet...just something to try. I'm not a vet, none of us (to my knowledge) are on BYC - but if you've got a chicken that may be on it's way out...you may want to know all options available as things to try. Hope that helps!

ETA: Just looked at her pics again...is her comb fully pink, or is it turning purple? Hard to see in the picture, but if it's turning purple, I BELIEVE that is an indicator of a cardiovascular issue. Not 100% sure on that, though!

10. HennysMom

Oh I agree.. I am in no way even remotely close to having the experience with chickens that so many others on here do [​IMG] to the chicken gods/godesses

Didnt even catch the comb color - yeah.. is it purple?

Can you open her beak and look down her throat? Do you feel anything in her windpipe area or throat area?

Gosh I really dont know what else to tell you - if her pupils are dialated then she's probably in shock I'd say. Is she breathing funny (mouth open? gasping for air?)

Heimlich manuever for chickens exist... I've read it on here somewhere. Trick is - to know if thats the issue (if she's got something caught in there) and how to get it out.

You need to look.

ETA: OP - Change your title to read something ELSE: like "Pupils Dialated, Not eating, drinking, - Need Assistance ASAP"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by