No food till tomorrow...what to do?

kmwright

Songster
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
Winters, CA
I bought the wrong stuff today for my chicks (bought a small bag of chick grit thinking it was food) and now the stores are closed. I have no food for them until tomorrow. All I have right now is grit, oyster shells and layer feed.

What can I give them until tomorrow when I can pick up some chick starter??

Thanks!!

I just remembered, I have some all bran cereal (that I can smash up) and some other plain cereals. I also have brown rice and veggies. Can I feed any of that?

Chicks eat a lot - mine almost continuously it seems. As a last resort you could grind some of the mash fine & mix it with a little mashed boiled egg & some warm water. That should help hold them over until morning.

Otherwise I have no clue - hope someone else chimes in.

Last edited:
Quote:
Layer feed will work fine to get them through. Is it crumbles or pellets? If it is pellets, you'll need to crumble them in small bits for them.

Quote:
add it to the eggs, as a experament i feed only eggs with a natural supplment add to chicks for 2 week they did great, it a bummer to make eggs 3-4 times a day thats the only reason I stopped

Last edited:
I have layer crumble. I read that it's not good for them...but do you think it would be ok just for a little but until tomorrow?

Quote:
add it to the eggs, they started out on it

Add the bran cereal to the eggs? What do you mean they started out on it? Sorry I'm confused....

Quote:
add it to the eggs, they started out on it

Add the bran cereal to the eggs? What do you mean they started out on it? Sorry I'm confused....

in the shell
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom