No fruit? Will this stop the chickens from laying?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by firsthouse_mp, Dec 22, 2010.

1. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    I just got a catalogue from a chiken hatchery and one of the things they state in there is to NOT feed your chickens fruit, that it will stop them from laying? Is this true??? I have never heard this. I feed my hens the cores from apples, the tops from strawberries, bananas (but they don't love these). Is this why their laying has been very lean this Winter????

I dear if this is why, I am vexed. I can't believe I have never read this before! I usually feed them fruit scraps along with a bunch of other stuff. Today they got apple cores, sprouted lentils, yogurt and warm oats as their treat.......thi is a typical daily treat. Have I been doing it wrong all this time????

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Others will give you more information but I give mine fruit min 3 times a week, and I am getting 18-23 eggs a day.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Old wives' tale.

If their diet is very high in fruit it might cause slow down in laying, but that's true of ANY food. Too much of anything is bad for them just like it's bad for us. A few servings of fruit a day is good for chickens. Having a bucket of fruit and nothing, or very little, else is not good.
    It sounds like you give a reasonable amount of fruit. It shouldn't have negative effects.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    No, it's not true. I'm sorry that you were confused by that one particular hatchery. They've been contacted before and said they had no other information, they just think this. I've never been able to find any corroborating scientific information anywhere. As far as empirical evidence, millions of chickens have eaten fruit and continued to lay eggs.

Shorter days in winter are the main cause of reduced laying in winter. Pullets are not as effected by this in their first winter laying. You can add supplemental lighting or just wait until the days get longer in the spring and laying resumes.

Sometimes, very extreme cold can also slow laying down a bit. Other causes in different parts of the year are extreme heat, going broody or molting. Diet and water consumption also play a role. It takes a certain amount of particular nutrients and water, in excess of what a chicken needs to maintain it's self, to create an egg.

It sounds like you've been taking great care of your chickens.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    What? That's nonsense. Fruit is very nutritious for chickens and they love it. Berries, melons, even peels- you name it, they love it. Mine get fruit around 3-4 times a week and lay large eggs everyday. What hatchery told you this? I think you're doing very well and extra light does work great. I have read that chickens don't lay at night but that is certainly not the case for mine. Not all breeds are as hardy as others.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I know one particular hatchey says that and they really don't have anything else to back it up LOL!

For thousands of years, chickens ate seeds and fruits......so it is not a problem !

8. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    I could see this having a potential effect. Fruits are mainly water and sugar. It theoretically could have an effect. That said, they would have to eat A LOT of fruit. This past fall, mine got windfall apples, pears, grapes, and berries daily and never had problems.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    So long as you're not trying to feed them ONLY fruit it's basically good for them.

Give them free choice access to a good balanced ration then let them have all the fruit they want. They'll take care of the rest.

10. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I read somewhere that citrus fruits are bad for chickens, like oranges, lemons, etc. Is this true?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by