No grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SandraMort, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    The local feed store didn't have it. Not only don't they have it this week, they don't carry it! At ALL! They said they could special order it but had no idea how much it costs. Is that me or is that just odd???

2. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I have bought grit at the pet store in the bird section. They have regular grit and ultrafine grit for small birds if it is for the chicks.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Yes, I agree that it is odd that a feed store doesn't carry poultry grit. It would make me think they do not serve the poultry owning public.

Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? They carry small bags of chick grit. Try play sand. It's better than nothing.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Lazy feed store knuckleheads, some of us have no choice. I needed some grit for my chickens asked my feed store owner ( who is my neighbor ) I just got lucky. he said no problem picked up the phone quoted me a price and it was here in 2 days 50lb bag $ 7.00 not bad. he did the same thing for me when I needed some DE, now I live in Cow country, so we are in the minority, but these feed stores have a vast huge network and can get anything at the drop of a hat, I have been told this by my neighbor. He says they routinely get supplies from other stores in a pinch, if they really want to help. I guess my point is yes yes yes they can always get what you want and need when you want it, only if they feel good that day and like you. sorry but this is the sad truth.

Have you ever wondered why there are no feed store guys in this forum, haha.

AL

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I have never brought or given my chickens grit, there is plenty of it in the ground soil, if you don't let them outside maybe you would need to, mine go outside as soon as I get them.

6. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Yeah, I think everybody up here has their birds outside. But I have some inside for a while.

7. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Our flock forages our fenced acreage from sun up to sun down year round (with minor exceptions in winter). They still eat the grit we put out. So I personally wouldn't jump to the conclusion that foraging chickens don't need the additional grit. A 50# bag lasts us about 6 or 8 months, so at $7 it is quite inexpensive!

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I've never used grit.

9. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:I don't believe chickens need grit to break down crumble but if they free-range like your chickens do then I would agree they could use the grit, even though I haven't ever fed mine any and have yet to experience any problems, we do have alot of sand but it is not nescessary as hard as your typical grit you would buy at a feed store.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Inside chickens don't need extra grit unless you are feeding them things that need to be ground in their gizzard. If they are eating commercial feed they don't need it. If you give them treats a bowl if sand works too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by