1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No Hatchers Yet At Day 23! what do I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Southernbell, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Southernbell

Southernbell Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2011
    Well, my chicken eggs wiggle from time to time, but wont make any holes or anything, so I'm wondering if feeding my hens laying pellets, is making my fertile egg shells too hard to where they can't get out? If so should I take tweezers or something and poke a small hole in my eggs in the blunt end? I'm so lost [​IMG].... should I help? if i wait too long to help, the membrane i've heard could dry out and the chick could get stuck and die in there...whats worse, waiting too long and the chick sticking to the shell, or too soon and killing the chick because theres still yolk left or something like that? like I said, Im So LOST [​IMG]......and like I said, its day 23!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Just from what i have Read and I am NO EXPERT on here, But if your temp was low they will be late hatchers, if your humidity is low they cant get out, I know if it was me I would probably try to help one and see how far along it is, It is hard for me to wait, But if you hear them and know they are still alive, wait a day yet, and see, if the chirping is getting faint, you want to intervene, Thats what I would do, but I have no clue to help you really. Hope all works out for you. [​IMG]

3. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    I'd wait a bit if they're still wiggling. Can you hear any peeping? One of my eggs this week was rocking like crazy at 5:00 am one morning and didn't pip until 4:00 am the next morning. It didn't zip until about 8:45 that night and then hatched out within 5 minutes! Sometimes they like to move slow. Maybe your temps were a little bit low, causing them to be late. It's better for them to be late than too early!

4. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    BYW [​IMG] Lots of great info on here!!!! Love this site, ask and thy shall receive!!!!

5. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    Hi, usually you need to let them hatch without help. I know some of my breeds hatch a day or so late, but usually by day 23, they are hatching.

6. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hope everything turns out o.k. on your hatch!

7. Southernbell

Dec 22, 2011
    to answewr your question, no peeping, just moves from time to time, but not very often....and i dont think humitity was ever too low because i mist them 3 times a day and pour water in the bottom 2 a day

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I have had chicks not start hatching until day 22-23, and I have seen posts on here about folks whose eggs didn't hatch until day 25 and once even day 27! So just hang in there.... I know you must be at the point where your neck's starting to hurt from looking in the incubator window 100 times a day! (I know, because I do the same thing LOL.)

Keep us posted & hope you have a great hatch!

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Im thinking right there is your issue-opening your bator 5x a day-all your temps and humidty are screwy. what's the temp been?

10. Southernbell

Dec 22, 2011
    when closed (which it has been all day tosday), temp is 99.5-100 degrees...when opened fr a while it will get as low as about 80-90 degrees, but i havent opened it today so it has been about 100 degrees all day today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by