No hatching progress, 24 hours. Temperature problem?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NineDogCircus, Mar 9, 2014.

1. NineDogCircus

NineDogCircus New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    I have been incubating 5 duck eggs for the past 28 days (today is day 29). Yesterday, 2 of the ducks pipped, but neither one has made any progress in the last 24 hours. I've read on numerous posts that duck eggs can take a long time, but I'm wondering if the temperature in my incubator is too low. The thermometer reads between 93 (light kicks on) and 99 (light kicks off) degrees, with the humidity reading between 75 and 95%.

Here's my dilemma. I can adjust the light to come on and raise the temperature; however, I would have to remove all of the eggs to do so. The wire floor that they are sitting on is above the temperature gauge. So my question is, after 24 hours, should I leave them alone and give them more time, or should I remove them (I do have a heat lamp I could place them under while I adjust the temperature) and turn up the heat? And if the answer is to leave them, at any point should I adjust the temperature...say if nothing has happened for 36 hours, 48 hours?

Thanks in advance. Like all newbies, I'm getting nervous!!!

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    What kind of ducks, and do you have an air incubator or a still or homemade one??

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    HUMIDITY IS WAY TO HIGH

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    You have TWO major issues going on, your humidity is to high and your temp is to low. Depending what kind of incubator you have you are going to have some really issues here.

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    At 95% they will NOT survive, ducks can NOT tolerate humidity past 80%, I have read a lot of internet post saying they need 80 to 90% humidity I can tell you this is WRONG information. TOTALLY wrong, how do I know when I first started I kept mine at 80% and guess what my results were, DEAD. all of them died. 65 - 70 is Good but 70 is still pushing..

You need to Immediately make them a safe Hole and LOWER that humidity, they will need to dry up some, I'm sure they are all very very sticking inside causing them to struggle trying to get out of that shell. they will give up before they get out. If they haven't already, you really need to get that Humidity DOWN... get it down to about 45% so some of that water can escape out of there..

6. NineDogCircus

NineDogCircus New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    I'm not sure what type of duck eggs they are. We have runners, pekins, mallards, muscovies, and a few others. I read the following guidelines on Metzer Farms and they hatch a lot of duck eggs!!

Following are the conditions recommended for incubation and hatching:
    Incubation Hatching
    Day 1 - 25 Day 26 - 28
    Temperature 99.5 98.5
    Humidity 86 94
    Turns Per Day 3 - 7 0

The incubator is home made. It has a light, a fan, a humidity gauge and a temperature gauge. The humidity has been running around 70-75% all day and the 2 eggs have made some progress. They appear to be unzipping...I think. I will go lower the humidity a bit; however, I'm still concerned because this is the first time I've heard about lowering it. Everything, I've read said problems arise when they are too dry!!

Thanks for the input. Do you have any about having to get the eggs out in order to raise the temperature?

7. NineDogCircus

NineDogCircus New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
  8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    This is false information, that Humidity is to high. GRRR, I'll contact them and let them know... your humidity should be at 65 to 70 If they are now making progress then you should be OK, but do not let it get any higher then 70.. You can leave your temp where it is but you are going to have to give them extra days to compensate for it. You temp light should have shut off at 102 this way it would turn on about 95 keeping a moderate temp in between. about 99

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Understand ducks really don't zip they actually make a hole and just make that hole bigger and bigger until its the size that they can get out.

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    on my website I have posted TWO methods on how to hatch ducks, it works for any types of ducks, www,lwbarnhouse.com click on the duck tab and youll see the two different methods that I have used.

I have also hatched ducks using a homemade incubator, I find them to be the best...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by