No hatching

RosegardenLD

Hatching
May 19, 2017
Hi everyone!
I'm new here and I'm writing from Italy :)

I have 5 hens (no roosters) and one of them was brooding all day long on her eggs, so we decided to buy 5 fertile eggs from a farm near us.
We gave the eggs to the hen on Sunday 23rd April, and she began to brood them the day after.
It was all fine, I candled the 5 fertile eggs from day 10 and they were all viable, the hen brooded them perfectly... Until last week, when she suddenly abandoned the nest and she didn't want to brood them again.
We were afraid that the eggs could have got cold, so we built an home-made incubator with a red, warm light, with a constant warm temperature .

After moving them to the nest (they were around day 19) I candled them again and unfortunately only 3 of them were viable. To be 100% sure, I also did a float test on the two eggs that didn't show any sign of internal movement through the light candling, and it was confirmed that those two eggs were not viable anymore :(

Here is my problem: the 3 viable eggs should be on day 25, but still no sign of hatching. I do not move them from the nest to make sure that the chicks have the possibility to find the correct position for hatching... But still no peeping or cracking the egg.
If I candle them with the light (without moving them) I can clearly see the chicks moving inside, so I am sure that they are alive, although they haven't break the air sack yet.

I am so worried. Maybe the hen abandoning the nest has caused a delayed hatching?
I do not understand why I can see them moving inside the egg but on day 25 still no sign of hatching.

Can anyone please help me? This is my first time with chicks and hatching... I am so worried!

Thank you!!

Sorry about your poor hatch. At day 25 I'd say it's a lost cause and they wont hatch. I'm confused how you put them back on the nest without the broody hen? If you were incubating them after she abandoned being broody then why didn't you keep them in incubator until they hatched? I'm sure I'm missing something there.

Yes sorry with nest I mean the incubator I made, I left them there of course!

But if they won't hatch, how is it possible that they're moving inside the egg? Doesn't it mean that they're alive and so there is still hope?

Back
Top Bottom