No health care? Expect a requirement to get it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pdsavage, Jun 22, 2009.

1. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
  2. hikerchick

hikerchick Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I don't see anything wrong with people having to take responsibility for their own healthcare. The uninsured have been a burden on the insured and the taxpayers for too long. It's time for people to put on their big boy pants and pay for their medical care like the rest of us have to.

3. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Something has to be done, this is a starting point for discussion, not the insurance panacea for all. What we currently have is not working so why not here?

With all respect, do you have a better idea?

I can say honestly, I pay a huge amount for insurance for my husband, myself and our 10 yr old. I am a nurse in a large hospital but I still pay almost 7000 a yr in health insurance. If I were to drop my coverage it would be a huge raise for me, but what if something catostrophic happened? I know what would happen. My insurance would cover only a fraction of a catostrophic illness and I would be in jeopardy of losing my farm and way of life.

I am extremely frustrated with what I see on a daily basis. If I have a Rx to fill, I have 3 pharmacies in this entire county I can use, but if you have medicaid... you can go anywhere?

It seems as if health care cost is carried by people like me. I understand you may not go to a Dr. frequently, but if you needed to, they are there. I bless you for your health.

These two following excerpts are a beginning, I applaud opening a dialect to address these issues. Something HAS to be done.

""I am open to a system where every American bears responsibility for owning health insurance, so long as we provide a hardship waiver for those who still can't afford it."

"Obama also indicated that if he were giving a little, insurance companies eager for new customers must as well, and called on them to stop denying coverage based on pre-existing conditions. Said Obama: "The days of cherry-picking who to cover and who to deny — those days are over."

4. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:Ummm, this is exactly what I was trying to say with a bit more finesse, but thank you for summing it up so succinctly.

In all honesty, I am sure the uninsured majority would like the opportunity to provide some type of healthcare for themselves.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Ummm, this is exactly what I was trying to say with a bit more finesse, but thank you for summing it up so succinctly.

In all honesty, I am sure the uninsured majority would like the opportunity to provide some type of healthcare for themselves.

I am one of the uninsured, but not by choice. I was the end result in Michigan's economy failing and trust me, having a union job doesn't make you safe from the repercussions. Thankfully nothings happened that I would have needed it anyways.

6. Rolsjo

Rolsjo Songster

May 18, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:The insurance companies base their acceptance on risk-assessment. If we take that away from them they can't continue to operate. This is just like telling the banks that it is not fair to deny housing loans to high-risk lenders. Once that was forced on the financial institutions . . . well, we've seen the result. If they had not been forced to adopt poor business practices we would not have the current housing crisis.

IMO, whenever governments try to regulate the private sector the result will always be disaster. I have had many people from Canada, England, New Zealand and Australia tell me that they hope America doesn't get nationalized health care because it does not work. They envy the freedom of choice we have and the level of care.

7. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    This is just like telling the banks that it is not fair to deny housing loans to high-risk lenders.

I disagree that they can be compared. I agree that banks should be able to assess the quality of buyers. Buying a house is voluntary. Getting ill isn't. When you need health care, you need it ... can't shop around and wait for a better deal/plan or save up.

We will be a better nation if getting health care is more available without risking home & family. We would be and stay healthier if we could get regular checkups and treatment in a timely manner. Too many people are forced to wait too long or remain basically 'disabled' because they can't get or maintain proper health care.​

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Quote:The insurance companies base their acceptance on risk-assessment. If we take that away from them they can't continue to operate. This is just like telling the banks that it is not fair to deny housing loans to high-risk lenders. Once that was forced on the financial institutions . . . well, we've seen the result. If they had not been forced to adopt poor business practices we would not have the current housing crisis.

IMO, whenever governments try to regulate the private sector the result will always be disaster. I have had many people from Canada, England, New Zealand and Australia tell me that they hope America doesn't get nationalized health care because it does not work. They envy the freedom of choice we have and the level of care.

Level of care?

If I go to the emergency room here and complain of chest pains (which I've done) I waited around for 8 hours, only to be told I was to young for a heart attack--go home!

My sister and I were traveling in London and she was having severe pains so I took her to the hospital there. We waited 2 minutes, we're brought back and they immediately started care.

Because the US doesn't have national healthcare we had to pay out of pocket. It was aprx. $2,200 a night for everything.

Were the rooms as private? No.

They even had to pay to watch TV, which to me is fine, one less thing to pay for if you aren't going to watch it and helps the hospital make money.

I don't have health insurance. I would if my house would sell, but right now I'm paying two mortgages and office rent (self employed) and going in the hole every month. So insurance isn't going to happen.

I heard someone on the radio this morning saying that they were a medical student and they were taught that 50% of doctor visits are related to smoking some how. I don't smoke. But apparantally those that do are clogging up the system and everyone else gets to pay for it.

Out of industrialized countries we have more preventable deaths then any other country. That is HORRIBLE.

9. only one lay

only one lay Songster

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Is it always about the money? when do we- rich or poor- start caring more about a 3 dollar coffee at mcds more then the kids of a man that just had a heart attack he can't pay for but can go back to work if healthy?

10. texas hiker

texas hiker In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    Health care should be a universal right, not a requirement. The whole health care system have evolved to do one thing - to keep the insurance companies rich.

Lets say that people have to option to buy something, like coke or pepsi. That creates competition between those 2 companies. But when the government tells you "you have to" buy something, and those are the only two companies - that destroys the natural balance of a free enterprise system.

But we can really only point the finger at one group of people - and that is the voters. Its the voters that keep putting the bought out politicians back into office.

If you want real change, vote third party and remove the democrats and the Republicans from office. And then, a lot of the problems we have with our government will be fixed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: