No heat lamp!? 3 week old ducklings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EraD7101, Mar 10, 2014.

1. EraD7101

EraD7101 New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    So earlier today the bulb broke on my lamp, I used a second one and that one broke too. It's too late for me to get another 100w bulb but I tried to go to Walmart and got a 75w bulb but don't have a lamp for it and I don't want to risk braking it and having glass all over my baby's. So I have a heating pad under 2 layers of towels on low and a heater just in case. I'm so scared that one is sick already, she has been sneezing just a little for a few days. I give them baths everyday so I don't think anything is in her nose. I'm hoping this will be ok tonight until tomorrow when I can get a bulb? Anyone have some suggestions?

2. BooBoo45

BooBoo45 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Worcestershire, England
    Our first duckling was part of my son's school project and came home at one day old - the other five eggs didn't hatch. This was way before the days of internet and I knew nothing what so ever about ducklings. So I had no light nor a heat pad - the little guy had a cardboard box and a hot water bottle, with a towel that I made into a tent to mimic the mother duck! He had a swim in a washing up bowel every day from day two in front of the fire. He was in a back room with a radiator and he grew up into the most amazing duck ever. None the worse for not having all the fancy stuff.

Your ducklings are three weeks old and well developed, it would be different if this was outside but in the house in a nice cosy room with no drafts they aren't going to come to any harm at all. You have given them warmth and they also have each other to cuddle up to. And ducklings are just like us, they get dust up their noses and sneeze! If the duckling is eating, drinking and exploring with it's siblings then it isn't sick. I never had George on shavings (they are dusty and the ducks do try eating them) but newspaper, which I cleaned twice a day and his bedding was old tea towels over the hot water bottle inside his tent

They aren't in any drafts and you have given them something to keep warm on, they will be just fine. Try to stop worrying and enjoy them growing up. Hand reared ducks are just wonderful, all his life George saw our house as an extension of the garden. Many a time I'd come home to find him sat in the dog's water bowl or asleep in front of the fire place, your ducklings will grow up and you'll end up with them being such a big part of your life too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. EraD7101

EraD7101 New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Thank you so much. I was just freaked out because I had a baby that was just 4 days old and died in my hands. It was very hard and I don't want to go through it with my older baby's now. They are still acting totally normal, eating, drinking, pooping and cuddling together trying to sleep, I keep checking on them however and trying to make sure they are warm enough. I shut the heater and the heating pad off because they weren't even laying on it so I think they were too warm. I still plan to get a bulb tomorrow to get right back on the path. Thanks again :)

4. BooBoo45

BooBoo45 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Worcestershire, England
    I am in the process of incubating my first hatch for myself and I am worrying myself sick, so I understand your concerns. It is only natural.

But I have had ducks for over 14 years and they are actually pretty hardy little things, they can survive a hell of a lot. Your ducklings are well developed now. If they die at four days old then there is an internal reason and it won't have been anything you have done, just like us human's, some things aren't meant to be. That is really hard when you have got to know them and they are part of your life. Thankfully you have your other ducklings and I think you are spot on - if they were cold they would have gone for the heat pad. They aren't daft :)

Try and get some sleep yourself, it is lovely and warm in the room and they will be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by