No heat lamp for day old chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nanaluvsgps, Apr 22, 2012.

1. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Hi, today I got my first Plymouth Rock chicks and it wasn't untill afterwards I realised I might have made a mistake. I don't have a heat lamp and they were born on friday three days ago. It's not that cool here and now they are happily sleeping in an alpacca fur beanie. Should I get a heat lamp? p.s I also got a Gold Laced buff Whyandotte!

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm in Australia too, and even though it was very warm when we first got our chicks, they still needed heat at night up till they were about three/four weeks old. If they don't look cold and aren't cheeping loudly, then I suppose they're okay for now, but probably 'cause they're all snuggled up warm. :lol: It doesn't have to be a fancy lamp, we didn't have one at first either and just used the bedside lamp, turned upside down, until we could get a proper one.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Yes, unless it is 90 degrees, you need a heat lamp. Decrease the temperature by 5 degrees each week.

4. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    thanks for the advice guys, i guess ill be buying a heat lamp tomorrow!

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    it really does not have to be a Heat Lamp if you only have a few.Just hang a regular household 100 watt bulb down near them tell there about 90 deg they will huddle in the warmth.Don't get it so close that they get burned on bulb.If you got a bunch heat lamp is probably worthwhile...cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by