1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

no heat/light, frigid temps and FIRST EGG!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dftkarin, Jan 2, 2009.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I want to post in this forum because this is the board I've posted the most on and feel like some of you have seen me through my coop-building days and starting out with my chickens. They arrived as day-old chicks on July 10, my coop is unheated with no supp. light and its been especially frigid the last few days and today I found my first egg!! I am bursting with pride and thankful affectionate feelings for my sweet friendly hardy girls! I have 2 barred rocks, a glw and a australorp and I don't know for sure but I think maybe it was the australorp who layed the egg. I live in New England where the days are still really really short so I wasn't expecting eggs for quite a while - I feel lucky! Here's a picture of the lovely egg!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    What a feeling!. I can tell you are very proud of your first egg and rightfully so. And a beautifull egg it is. It's almost as if you layed it yourself!!
    Congratulations!!!!

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Congratulation, your egg looks beautiful and your hen is really very lovely.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Omran

4. backyard-maine

backyard-maine New Egg

Dec 24, 2008
    Goodlooking egg and Hen;)[​IMG]

5. Chicken of the Sea

Chicken of the Sea Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2008
    Wellsboro, PA
    I have 15 Australorp hens, they lay throughout the winter, I get on average 8 to 10 eggs a day. Sure looks like a lorp egg to me.

6. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Congratulations on your first egg!!![​IMG]

and

Great pictures.

7. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Congratulations!! Great feeling isn't it, the payoff for your labor. Have you eaten it yet? They're tasty. [​IMG]

My Australorp gave me my first egg too, Sunday, and has continued this week with 5 eggs in 6 days.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations on your first egg. Every day when I go out to collect eggs it's like christmas finding those precious packages. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Hey Congratulations on your first egg..I can't wait..got a ways to go though..nice looking egg too. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I've got a couple of Aussie hens that looks just like her - 'cept they won't come out in the snow even to stand on 1 foot [​IMG].

Good for her! And good for you - this is the pay off for your hard work [​IMG]!

Steve

Australorps and Barred Rocks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by