No Heat No Light No Problems

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hokum Coco, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Current Conditions

[​IMG]
    19°F

WSW 19 gust 33 mph
    Wind Chill: 4

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You've sent some of your cold air down here. Temps in the mid twenties with wind chills way lower. Providing fresh water twice daily. No heat - No Light - No Problems. Yesterday the dogs were reluctant to leave there hay filled sleeping boxes. Today they are all out and about. Birds are like, "Hey, we're wearing down comforters." [​IMG]

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah, same around here, however *I* had a problem i am dressed up like the Pillsbury dough boy! My big girls some are in molt and not chosen to venture out but they get the option, they seem fine otherwise though.

Bit of a reprieve today, with a high of 32F expected!

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yep, I too have a problem - these old bones ache in the cold. [​IMG] All those years of running around with wet feet and hands have caught up with ne. Mom warned me long ago that this would happen.

1 person likes this.
  5. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Hokum,

You are the poster boy for no heat, no light, no problems...and, I am quickly learning that too in the beginning of my first winter here in Pennsylvania with chickens. We've had an unusual cold snap the past week or so with temps a few nights going down to the very low teens and days in the mid 20's. My chickens seem to not even notice. I'm still getting plenty of eggs, although not as many as when we had 14+ hours of light. Today we had our first dusting of snow, and it's still snowing now, and my chickens are out pecking in their run.

Jim

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    @ Moon shadows:
    My hens are working on their 4 trip around the sun. My egg production has fallen off. I used to get an egg a day from the girls. The last few days my 10 girls are just giving me one egg a day. If I gave them extra light my production would probably increase but for me it is not worth the bother. I find the Mrs. and I eat more waffles and pancakes when egg production is down. We just can not go back to supermarket eggs. In a perfect world I should change out my flock. Alas! Grand kids who like our chickens & checking for eggs even if there is none to bring in..

I probably will keep them over the winter for their manure. This spring I am thinking it may be time for chicken stews, extra protein for our cat, and some day old sex link chicks.

Through this summer 6 eggs a day was tops. They are long in the tooth shall we say. Plus the grand kids have given them names (I hope there is never a test for I will fail miserably). I am hopping the new additions will take the lime light away from the older flock as another one turns up missing from week to week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Way back when times were lean, non laying hens were Sunday dinner. Yep, grew up blue collar poor. Funny thing is I never knew that. We were happy.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by