no humidity during incubation????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pattgal, May 7, 2011.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    is it true I shouldn't add water for the incubation part. I added water like it said in my instructions. I hope this won't affect my hatch rate
    I read on the chook chicks cheat sheat that you have to add a bunch of paper towel to increase humidity for the lock down phase. I'm running the hovabator 1588 genesis model. it has 2 troughs to add water to for extra humidity. will I still need all the paper towel? Should I get a hygrometer?
    Sorry I tend to concentrate all my questions in one post
    please help me I don't want to screw this up. I'm waiting to get this right so I don't screw up the ones I'm about to order

2. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I was wondering that to! Yes, I would get a hygrometer.

3. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes. it's money well spent.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use dry incubation for half the time (so about 10 days), then fill one of my water pots in my Brinsea Mini Advance. I fill the second pot when I enter lockdown.

I don't really "lock down" though, as I have to keep filling the water pot. But I don't open it otherwise.

But if I lived in a very dry climate, I might not do dry incubation. I am no expert on it.

Gotta watch for mold growth in those pots is the reason I like dry incubation. By the time they hatch, the pots are disgusting.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Chickens Are Sweet wrote:
    Gotta watch for mold growth in those pots is the reason I like dry incubation. By the time they hatch, the pots are disgusting.

Can vinegar be added to the water chambers to prevent growth of yucky things in the chambers???

Delmar and Mrs. Brown: I think you convinced me to invest in a hydrometer as the humidity really does need to be high, like 70%. And there's no way to be sure of the level without a hydrometer.

Patgal: I read CHookchick sheet too. She has great hatch rates! Gave me the confidence to go ahead and build an incubator and give it a go. THe poor hatch rates of many of the posters had me scared off. Not any more! Will build an incubator and try hatching a few! If you PM chookchick she will respond with enthusiasm and good tips.

GL !​

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Can vinegar be added to the water chambers to prevent growth of yucky things in the chambers???

Delmar and Mrs. Brown: I think you convinced me to invest in a hydrometer as the humidity really does need to be high, like 70%. And there's no way to be sure of the level without a hydrometer.

Patgal: I read CHookchick sheet too. She has great hatch rates! Gave me the confidence to go ahead and build an incubator and give it a go. THe poor hatch rates of many of the posters had me scared off. Not any more! Will build an incubator and try hatching a few! If you PM chookchick she will respond with enthusiasm and good tips.

GL !

I don't know, but vinegar smells so bad- and the eggshells are porous...I would be hesitant.

7. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:I dry incubation doesnt mean absolutely no water. Its more the number of the humidity. I live in a very humid area so I put about 2 tablespoons of water in every 3-4 days or so. I am still considered dry incubation because I stay around 30% humidity. Then for lockdown I raise to 55-65%. Most the time the water chambers are not enough. I put paper towels in or a panty liner so I can just lift the lid and pour some water into the pad. Yes, Buy a hygrometer. How else will you know what your humidity is? You can get a cheap one from Petco in the reptile section. Dont forget to calibrate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by