No hybrid chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fudd707, Dec 2, 2010.

1. fudd707

fudd707 New Egg

Dec 2, 2010
    Hello,

First of all I would like to say thank you for all of the knowlege that yall have give me on this site.

Ok here is my question. 4 months ago I started my own flock of chickens, with 5 Barred Rock hens 1 Barred Rock rooster and 5 Rhode Island Red

hens. They are all supposed to be around 1 yr old.

I incubated about 25 eggs in my home made inc. and got 18 cute little chicks.

What has me puzzled is that all of the chicks loook like barred rock
    chicks.

I was hoping for some RIR chicks or something that looks similar.

Will the chicks change colors or did my rooster not breed with RIR hens?

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The reason you didn't get any Production Red chicks is because you've got mutts. [​IMG] You don't have a red rooster to go over the hens, so thus, the Barred Rock did.

Then that goes to the second reason/explanation - Barring is a dominant gene, so if you take a barred rooster and pair it with a hen that is not barred (or is) - You'll get 100% barred chicks.

Even if you had a red rooster who covered barred hens, you'll still get Barring, however, you'll get Sex-Linked chicks, where as the females will be red, the males will be barred. [​IMG]

and btw - [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I presume you are talking about making Sex-links. In order to do that, you need a Rhode Island Red rooster (or any non-barred bird) over Barred hens (most often Plymouth Rocks). I Barred Rock rooster has two copies of the barring gene, which is why males seems to be lighter than the females; hens only carry one copy. A Barred hen passes on her copy to her sons, while a Barred rooster passes on a copy to all offspring (sons & daughters). So, if you have a Barred rooster over non-barred hens, all the offspring will have some degree of barring.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    [​IMG] I can't give you the answer but there is a genetic forum that you might get a good answer from I would think that if you had rir and BR you would get sex link chicks but I don't know, hope someone answers you were they RIR that didn't hatch? gl

5. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    sorry the rooster gave you answer lol

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Keep in mind, all chickens--despite the Ameracana's owners insistence to the contrary--are mutts bred by adding this and that to produce a particular trait. While most will breed true, if you cross them with a closely related "breed" you may come up with one or the other of the ancestral breeds. It's called genetics.

7. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:lol @ U , I'm kinda liking learning the genetics too bad it goes in 1 brain cell and out through another, I'm wondering if chickens have any hereditary traits that actually skip a generation.

8. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    [​IMG] 18 out of 25 hatch is very good, congrats on a good hatch. never mind the breed or colors. you now have 18 new babies to care for, cute aren't they.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Not quite. A RIR rooster over a Barred Rock gives you a black sex link. The pullet offspring would be solid black (probably with red leakage around the neck) while the male offspring would be black barred. If you want a red sex link, you need to cross a rooster with the gold gene with a hen with a silver gene. A RIR rooster over a Delaware hen or maybe a White Rock hen gives you a red sex link. In these, the pullet is red usually with a black tail (and probably some black around the neck) while the rooster is basically white with a black tail and black around the neck, but also some rust-color around the saddle and hackles. Or if dominant white is involved, the tails or whatever can be white instead of black. Lots of possibilities.

As others mentioned a Barred Rock rooster over a RIR hen will give you both male and female chicks that look a whole lot like the Barred Rock. There may be some red leakage in the adult plumage, but they will mostly be black and white barred. If you cross the offspring of this cross, you can get a variety of colors and patterns. According to Henk’s calculator, here are some of the colors and patterns the male offspring of the crosses could be.

black patterned salmon barred
    black patterned yellow/golden columbian barred
    black patterned yellow/golden wheaten barred
    black patterned redshouldered/cream columbian barred
    black patterned silver columbian barred
    black patterned silver wheaten barred
    black unicolor barred

Then here is part of the list of what the pullets could look like.

black patterned salmon barred
    black patterned salmon
    black patterned gold columbian barred
    black patterned gold columbian
    black patterned gold wheaten barred
    black patterned gold wheaten
    black patterned red columbian barred
    black patterned red columbian
    black patterned red wheaten barred
    black patterned red wheaten
    black patterned silver columbian barred
    black patterned silver columbian
    black patterned silver wheaten barred
    black patterned silver wheaten
    black unicolor barred
    black unicolor

Neither of these lists is complete and I’m not going to pretend I could recognize all these different colors and patterns if I saw them. To me it is part of the fun of crossing mutts. You never know what you will get.

Tuesday’s Chicks, it is not so much that hereditary traits skip a generation. It is more that recessive genes can pair up when you cross crosses. There are a lot more than two or three genes involved in colors and patterns. Not all are either dominant or recessive. Sometimes certain genes can partially express themselves, so if two combine neither may dominate but both may have some effect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by