No idea of hatch date.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gmom66charger, Jul 18, 2019.

1. gmom66charger

gmom66charger In the Brooder

Jul 18, 2019
    I was on vacation when two of my hens started brooding. I candled on July 12th and the eggs seemed to be in different stages (my first experience, so can't be sure). I have hens, all different breeds so I know whose eggs are in the 2 nests, some of everyones.

On July 15th, one egg was pushed away from the nest with a crack. It was cold, I candled it, and no activity, the attached picture shows the stage of that egg.

Because the eggs may have been laid or added after the hens started sitting should I be doing anything special. Can they be at different stages? I have not moved the eggs since the first candling but have looked at them by lifting my hens up.

I also don't know what to guess on a hatch date. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well that's tricky. You can Candle the eggs and put the ones that are closest in development under each Hen. You can also mark the eggs with marker and remove any newly laid eggs from the nests daily. I always separate my Broody Hens from the flock and introduce them back once the Chicks are 3 to 5 days old.

slejdad and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  3. gmom66charger

gmom66charger In the Brooder

Jul 18, 2019
    I have been picking up newly laid eggs since I returned on the 12th. Any guess on the age of the egg that didn't make it? Even that would give me some idea?

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

About 12 days roughly? I'm not 100% sure.

gmom66charger likes this.
  5. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Maybe day 9-10?
    :confused: Screenshot_20190719-102959.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: