No idea what’s wrong with my hen

Kgcolorgirl

Hatching
Apr 29, 2021
11/2 yr old bard rock hen comb coloring looks good eyes are fine she is eating and drinking
When picked up her legs kick and kick
When put down flops to left side with right leg out
For what I can feel all seems to be good leg/hip/spine but really have no clue
Has no problem with me touching might peck once at me
She Can’t seem to sit upright on her own
When put in front of food eats and drinks
But
Can’t on her on
Feed her Purina crumble Mixed with feather and scratch grains
1-2 times a day feed all with brown rice boiled with mix of cut up grass
Her coop/run has sand for the grit
Rest of flock seems to be ok
Ideas??
Please help…

Attachments

• 0B087F60-55DA-4EF1-B7F2-4708EF0C94A7.jpeg
    0B087F60-55DA-4EF1-B7F2-4708EF0C94A7.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 1BE52988-19B4-4425-BBCC-25C0EF8B03C8.jpeg
    1BE52988-19B4-4425-BBCC-25C0EF8B03C8.jpeg
    713.9 KB · Views: 2
  • E70037C4-7244-4885-B491-99FB240A532E.jpeg
    E70037C4-7244-4885-B491-99FB240A532E.jpeg
    658.9 KB · Views: 2
  • A774406D-B5E6-450D-992D-401A5DF9F761.jpeg
    A774406D-B5E6-450D-992D-401A5DF9F761.jpeg
    573.4 KB · Views: 2
I fear an avian virus. But this could be a vitamin B and E deficiency. It's worth a try treating for that. I suggest vitamin B-100 as it has all the B vitamins at 100mg. Give her a vitamin E capsule each day, as well, with egg or a sliver of selenium for absorption.

If at the end of a month there is no improvement, I would suspect Marek's or leucosis.

There is a remote chance she got hypothermic if you're in a cold zone. Try electrolytes and sugar in warm water.

Don't forget she need grit while in confinement.

Feed her Purina crumble Mixed with feather and scratch grains
1-2 times a day feed all with brown rice boiled with mix of cut up grass
When does she eat this? How often does she get the scratch and rice, specifically? Is this her normal diet? Are you certain the grass is free of fertilizers or pesticides?

When does she eat this? How often does she get the scratch and rice, specifically? Is this her normal diet? Are you certain the grass is free of fertilizers or pesticides?
Grass hadn’t been treated with anything since last July I have the mixture all 3 able to eat at all times including water

Grass hadn’t been treated with anything since last July I have the mixture all 3 able to eat at all times including water
Please remove all the extras and feed only the feed, your hen is likely suffering from nutritional deficiency.
Brown rice and scratch are treats and should only be fed in minor amounts once or twice a week. They are high in carbs and fat and low in nutrition, especially the rice. It just dilutes their nutrtional intake. Follow azygous advice for vitamin deficiency. :] good luck and best wishes. :]

I fear an avian virus. But this could be a vitamin B and E deficiency. It's worth a try treating for that. I suggest vitamin B-100 as it has all the B vitamins at 100mg. Give her a vitamin E capsule each day, as well, with egg or a sliver of selenium for absorption.

If at the end of a month there is no improvement, I would suspect Marek's or leucosis.

There is a remote chance she got hypothermic if you're in a cold zone. Try electrolytes and sugar in warm water.

Don't forget she need grit while in confinement.
Suggestion on silver selenium product

A Sliver of a selenium tablet, not silver selenium. They only need a tiny bit of selenium to help with the uptake of the E. You can also provide some cooked egg, tuna, or sunflower seeds to get some selenium also. It just helps the E do it's job.
As an aside, she's not a barred Rock. If her legs are feathered then maybe a cochin, not sure, but definitely not a barred rock.

A Sliver of a selenium tablet, not silver selenium. They only need a tiny bit of selenium to help with the uptake of the E. You can also provide some cooked egg, tuna, or sunflower seeds to get some selenium also. It just helps the E do it's job.
As an aside, she's not a barred Rock. If her legs are feathered then maybe a cochin, not sure, but definitely not a barred rock.
Yes definitely feathered feet so thought of her as a bard rock Brahma which thought meant feathers on feet
But just ordered a collodium silver liquid from amazon
Not what’s needed???
It’s definitely not a tablet but is 30 ppm liquid
If not what’s needed please give idea

Yes definitely feathered feet so thought of her as a bard rock Brahma which thought meant feathers on feet
But just ordered a collodium silver liquid from amazon
Not what’s needed???
It’s definitely not a tablet but is 30 ppm liquid
If not what’s needed please give idea
Cancel the silver, it's not what's needed.
You need to get them vitamin E, vitamin B complex and a tiny bit of selenium. You can find all three at the drug section in the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom