no idea what breed i have and how old they are

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greekchicken, Mar 29, 2012.

1. greekchicken

greekchicken New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    [​IMG]hello i only joined this site today. hope some one can help me. we bought our chickens about 3 weeks ago. friends told us the sellers in greece usually sell them at about 4 weeks old. a friend came round and said ours looked more like 6 to 7 weeks. could any one say how old they think they look in the pictures i took today and also maybe what breed they are. have 1 white chicken and 7 brown ones that look alike to me. thanks[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm going with 8 weeks old - 10 weeks old.

First one is a possible Delaware rooster. Definitely rooster though.

The others look like crosses, but look like pullets to me.

3. aoxa

[​IMG]
    Here is 12 week old delaware cockerel for comparison.

[​IMG]
    11 week old Delaware pullet

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. greekchicken

greekchicken New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    god that was quick!!
    we were sold them as all girls but have now learnt it is hard to tell sex of chicks. the white one was called queenie so may have to change that! had been thinking maybe a cockeral as is so bosy and definetly top of the pecking order!

5. aoxa

I don't think you have to think too deeply into that one anymore - Queenie is definitely a boy. No doubt in my mind. His comb is as big as my 2 year old Delaware hen :p

There are some breeds that are easy to sex as day olds, but I am not sure about the Delaware. Sounds like that was just an accident..

Do you have pictures when you first got them?

6. greekchicken

greekchicken New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    not upset if is a cockeral as wanted one any way. here is pic of when we first got them.[​IMG]

7. aoxa

It's probably just a misunderstanding. I can't tell from the younger picture, but he is not facing the camera.

Red comb at 5-6 weeks old is definitely a boy. Girls should have pale combs right to 3 weeks or so before they lay.

8. greekchicken

greekchicken New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    here is a better picture of queenie. sorry didn't think about not think!! this is clearest one i have.[​IMG]..

9. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Deff see some Delaware there! Can you get a better shot up close of combs?

10. greekchicken

greekchicken New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    will try tomorrow but i did find out today how hard it is to get a good picture of a chicken[​IMG]. i think i like this site and will appologise now for all the stupid questions i am gonna ask in the future. am an absolute novice at this!!!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by