no idea what happened to my poor broody??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sunket77, Apr 17, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    It's big mystery! I had a broody silkie hen on my covered back porch in a playpen that I normally use as a brooder. I had a 1/2 in. thick peice of plywood sitting on top of it. Being on my porch I was not to concerned about predators since my dog sleeps there and we have never had a problem in the last year or so we have been doing this, including baby chicks. There is a 4 in. gap on top on both sides but being very broody she had no interest in even getting off her nest, I even had to go out and pick her up off the nest for her to eat and poop. She was getting thin b/c she was just no eating enough. Today I cam home from church to check on my broodies (had three) to find her nest abandon and her dead in the yard.

First of all she is a silkie and not sure she could even jump three feet to reach the top of the pen, she would have to be REALLY determined. Especially since she would have to squeeze with through the 4 in. gap. The plywood was still in place and not pushed back. As far as her body there where no wounds or broken skin. However, I know my dog may have had something to do with her being dead because she is notorious for pulling feathers out and there where feathers missing, not many but she was acting guilty about it. It's also possible if being broody, if she attacked the dog, she may have retaliated. She has been out all day with our other chickens and not hurt them, she likes to herd them.

Ironically, my silkie run was left open this morning (not sure how, I was gone but my Mother was watching my nieces) and three other chickens where out roaming around. She had not been dead long when we found her this afternoon.

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    that is a good mystery....
    since the cover was not moved.... a predator or the dog would not have grabbed her out and put the cover back. also she would not have jumped out.
    how old are your nieces????

3. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    My neices are 6 and 4 so if they managed to get her out they wouldn't have thought to move the cover back, plus they wouldn't have been able to reach her unless the stood on something and there was nothing to stand on. AND she would have bit them if they tried, she was a mean little broody. I don't know how long she was off the nest but I tried to salvage the eggs by putting them under my other broody. I swear every time we buy hatching eggs we have the worst luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by