No idea what I'm doing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wish2farm, Feb 12, 2013.

1. wish2farm

wish2farm New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Hi! I just joined BYC and I am so excited about discovering this site! I do not have chickens! :(

I live in a subdivision with restrictions and am wondering if anyone has ever had the experience of convincing a Homeowners Assoc. to change their restrictions to allow laying hens?

If so, how did you do it, what were the major points of your argument that made the difference?

I have zero experience in the care and maintenance of chickens/hens, but I really want my kids to have the opportunity to participate in 4-H raising chicks and possibly building a tractor. I've done a lot of research already and I think this website will really help me in determining if this is a good thing for my family. I can't imagine that it wouldn't/couldn't be.

I would also like some feedback as to what I need to expect when it comes to raising chickens. My experience in animal care doesn't go beyond a parakeet and dog. So, any suggestions as to what my expectations should be in chicken care would be really appreciated!

Thanks to everyone who reads this and responds!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!

3. wish2farm

wish2farm New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    Thank you so much for this link! I've read it and think you did a great job providing information! I knew there were different breeds but didn't know the names of them. This is a great beginner's starting place!

I hope I get some feedback from others about Homeowners Associations and their experiences helping them make changes to their restrictions...Maybe I should try to sell our house and buy land! :)

Thanks, again!

4. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    That seems to be a hot topic right now cuz city ordinances seem too flip flop on the issue, which I find really crazy especially if u don't have any loud roosters. Even a rooster crowing a couple of times a day is less irritating than a constantly barking dog. ;-/. Good luck!

5. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I live just outside the city limit technically n I live right in the middle of savannah ga! Well, it's actually the unincorporated part lol

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you've joined us.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, wish2farm, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Hope you are allowed to have and keep chickens. Good luck to you!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good luck with the HOA. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by