1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No idea what is wrong with this hen...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mom2mnem, Apr 27, 2017.

1. mom2mnem

mom2mnem Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    We have a Tetra Tint hen that we got from TSC in March 2014. We got two at the time - one we found dead in the coop a couple of months ago for no apparent reason. This one is now acting quite strange and we have no idea what is wrong...

She is quite skinny, so obviously she hasn't been eating for a while. We have had her in the house for a couple of days now - she will not eat or drink anything at all on her own. I've been force feeding her chicken food mixed with vitamin water and made into balls that I put down her throat. Followed by vitamin water. She is pooping, so I know she's digesting stuff...

She doesn't walk around much at all. Sometimes she is very tipsy, and other times she does ok and perches on the box we have her in. She is not having any breathing issues at all. Her comb is quite droopy.

She has a weird thing she is doing with her head - not sure I can describe it, so am including a video of when we took her outside today and tried (to no avail) to entice her with bugs we found under a rock.
    [​IMG]

I just don't know what to do! It's so hard to know if this is something she can recover from, or if she is suffering and should be put down!

We initially thought she might be egg bound, but having felt around I don't think that's the case?

One of the things that I just read about and feel like could be a possibility is lead poisoning. My kids run around with their BB guns all the time and they have shot into the huge wood chip pile that we have and the chickens do go outside the fence sometimes and scavenge through there. She might have ingested one or more BBs, but I don't know that for sure.

And of course, this is my youngest son's pet chicken. :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. mom2mnem

Apr 16, 2010
    anyone? [​IMG][​IMG]

3. King CreekRanch

King CreekRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Have you checked her for lice?

4. ophelia3178

ophelia3178 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    I am not a vet.. looks neurological to me. Could be a brain problem or maybe as simple as a nutrient deficiency !!

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2 It does look neurological. It could also be a vitamin deficiency. Offer her some poultry vitamins (like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell). Also give her Vitamin E (400IU daily) and some chopped egg or tuna for Selenium. Do your best to keep her hydrated.

Since she is not eating - is her crop full or emptying all the way - check inside her beak to make sure there is no canker or plaques.

It's very possible that she may have ingested some lead BB's and this is the cause. A vet can perform an xray to see for sure.

Let us know how it goes.

6. mom2mnem

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I am giving her poultry vitamins and still force feeding her. She does seem to be up and about a bit more now, although still no interest in eating or drinking on her own. She seems to be more interested in looking around, so I'm hopeful her pecking instinct will kick back in.

Question - if you are force feeding and watering a chicken, how much do I need to be getting into her each day? How much food? How much water?

7. mom2mnem

Apr 16, 2010
    Oh, and the BBs aren't lead, they are steel. So I guess it wouldn't be lead poisoning, but could still be some sort of metal poisoning?

My son did tell me that he saw some lice on him from holding her - I will check her out carefully today to see if that's a major issue. If so, is that really something that could cause these symptoms?

8. peaceisgreen

peaceisgreen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    the black spots on her comb look like dry fowl pox but probably not the only thing affecting her right now

9. peaceisgreen

peaceisgreen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2017
    michigan
    i would say she is running a very high fever and it is making her very dizzy

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by