No idea what to do!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by depeelm, Mar 21, 2015.

1. depeelm

depeelm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    I have a 7 week old hen that has a feather growing out of her inner eye lid!!! It is blocking her vision and causing her eye to water! I just noticed this recently and I'm not sure what to do about it. She acts completely normal and healthy but I can tell this is bothering her because it's on her eye! I was jut curious if anyone else has had this problem before and what should I do?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    What's the chances it somehow got stuck there rather than grew there? Not high I'd imagine but it is quite unusual!

It will need removing or it will blind her. If this is a family issue, as in an inherited mutation, she will probably be unwise to breed on with. It may be a non-heritable mutation though.

Also, greetings and [​IMG]

Best wishes.

3. depeelm

Mar 19, 2015
    Well I have lifted her eye lid and looked at it. It's deffinatley growing out of her eye lid. And I don't know if it is something inherited because I got her as a chick from tractor supply! I think I'll just have it looked at!

4. StarFox7585

StarFox7585 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Bostic, North Carolina
    It's called Entropion. It happens in dogs kind of often. Never heard it in chickens before but doesn't mean it can't. The feather needs to be plucked to prevent injury to the eye. The feather will cause the cornea to scratch leading to blindness and/or infections. Have someone hold while you pluck with tweezers. Be very gentle and hold her eyelid while doing it. Hopefully it won't grow back.

5. depeelm

Mar 19, 2015
    Okay so it has grown back twice now and I keep having to pluck it often. I feel so bad for her because her eyelid swells up and her eye waters! Poor girl. I don't know what to do about something like this or how to treat it. Is there any suggestions?

6. StarFox7585

Mar 22, 2015
    Bostic, North Carolina
    There is a cure for Entropion but it's not very economical when it comes to chickens and if you can find an avian vet to do it. They would put her under anesthia and basically remove or burn the feather producing follicle on her eye lid. Not her whole eye lid. But I'm sure it's costly and then again you'd have the issue of actually finding a vet who would do this. My best suggestion would be to just pluck it when it grows back. It would cause her so pain and discomfort but it's better than letting it grow and resulting in her becoming blind. Perhaps it will stop growing eventually? Like a persons eyebrows. I know my eyebrows aren't as bushy as they were when I first started plucking them.

7. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    It's not necessarily entropion unless the actual eyelid is folding inwards. Could just be a misplaced follicle, they do end up in incorrect places sometimes.

Do you have, or know anyone who has, one of those electric pens for permanent hair removal? That may work on the feather. May also be unadvisable because it's a heck of a lot bigger than a hair, and also due to the very sensitive location. But as StarFox said it would be expensive and unusual to put a chook through vet surgery for it. Still, it might be an option.

You could just keep plucking it but chances are sooner or later she would end up blind in that eye from accumulated damage. Still, one working eye is better than none. However letting it reach that stage could cost the chook her life and you might end up taking her in to a vet's for eyeball removal, not to mention it would obviously be cruel to let it reach that stage.

Another option is to cull her if you're willing to manage the issue that way, of course, or find someone who will cull her, or is willing and financially able to try any treatments you're not...

Also, maybe a rescue would take her and see to her getting surgery, some will, some won't, you probably won't know until the hen's out of your hands if you choose to go that route.

Bit of a difficult situation you have there with that poor chook! Sorry I can't be more help.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  8. StarFox7585

Mar 22, 2015
    Bostic, North Carolina
    Chooks4life: Thank you for correcting me on my definition of Entropion. The correct term I was looking for is trichiasis. I hate giving people the wrong terms. Sorry Depeelm!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by