No idea what's wrong with my EE pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marcusy2j, Jan 22, 2014.

1. marcusy2j

marcusy2j Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Hi, I have an EE pullet that is 8 months old and hasn't started laying and the past couple days she's been acting very different just not herself, she's acting very lazy like a sick hen, she does eat and hydrate but at night she will not jump on the roost, she will walk into the nesting box and sleep in there! Her poop is normal nothing different just runny though but she's acting very down, Any thoughts on what I should do or what's wrong, thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Lots of things can affect chickens and without lab work it is a guessing game.

I have a thought though. I'm guessing that she's not your only chicken and you are feeding a layer feed,
    If she is 8 months, hasn't laid an egg and you've been giving a 4% calcium layer feed for the last 3 or more months, it could be kidney damage or gout.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Could be anything,it is possible she may be showing signs of starting to lay,her going into the nesting box does suggest this to me. If there are no symptoms and she is eating/drinking then i would just wait and see if her body maturing is what the issue is.

Make sure she is eating a properly balanced chicken feed,cut back on the treats,see if this helps with the runny poop.

4. marcusy2j

Dec 26, 2012
    Oh okay thanks, she's only eaten layer pellets once though and that was about 5 days ago, also could this be spreaded around to the other hens because I have a flock of 4

5. marcusy2j

Dec 26, 2012
    Ok thank you :)

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    High calcium problems from layer feed is cumulative. A few days here and there isn't a cause of concern.

7. marcusy2j

Dec 26, 2012
    Alright thanks for your help :)

8. marcusy2j

Dec 26, 2012
    Ill check on her soon

9. marcusy2j

Dec 26, 2012
    What should I be looking for

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Any sign of respiratory problems, wheezing, nasal discharge, weeping eyes, palpitate for a possible stuck egg, anything unusual other than just the sluggishness. Check for lice/mites. Check her keel bone to see if she's extremely thin (worms?).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by