No idea when they will hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuranoFarms, Aug 16, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Well, I started using this fancy Brinsea software that tracks my hatch dates. I seem to have forgotten to enter data for the last 2 hatches! lol I thought these silkies went in a few days after the marans....which hatched last week. They look ready, humidity is up...but nothing. They looked ready when the marans did though. I recandled after the marans hatched and they look ready still! lol So I float tested them. All but 1 wiggled. Back to lockdown. Why can't I have a broody right now???? [​IMG] Unfortunately I set 3 guinea eggs also which have probably 2 weeks to go. (I had 20...but don't need more Guineas! lol However these 3 looked smaller and different and I was hoping my lavender laid them) So...any other 'tests' I can try? The air cells look good even though they've been in lockdown for a week solid.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    If you don't mind my asking, what is "float testing"?

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Take a glass of very warm water and set the egg in it. When it stops moving, it will either get completely still or start to wiggle on its own. If it wiggles....it's alive still. If not, it's probably no longer alive. I only use it if its well past the hatch date and I candle first to make sure the egg is not pipped yet. If the egg is pipped you don't want to try it because the water could get into the egg and drown the chick.

I did it this time because by my memory they should have hatched Friday at the latest. Of course I went downstairs a few minutes ago and one has pipped! So I guess they'll all follow shortly. [​IMG]

4. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Thanks for explaining! Congrats on the pip and good luck with the rest of the hatch!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by