No if, ands or buts......

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sylviaanne, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    It's a goose egg!
    [​IMG]

We had one a couple of weeks ago but when I found it, it was broken and it was soft shelled.

Can anyone tell me if it is Sebastopol, American Buff, Chinese or Toulouse?

I have 6 Sebastopol, a pair of AB and 2 Chinese and one Toulouse hens. The Sebbies are 4 males and 2 females and all eleven of them are together so I don't know which one laid this egg. I have been told that they could start laying as early as next month but many people have poo-pooed that information so I wasn't really looking for goose eggs until, say February.

I am going to wait at least 3 days and see if anymore are laid and then put them in the incubator. I am so excited and anxious! I hate to put any more eggs on and have the babies in the house making a mess until they can go outside but I just HAVE to see what is inside any goose eggs I get. LOL

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Chinese lay in the fall I have read on here, so might be Chinese Most other breeds lay in late winter into May

3. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    We found an American Buff hen sitting on the nest this morning. I guess it is her that is laying. She is the oldest of all the hens, if I remember correctly, this is her 2nd year laying.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well it wouldn't surprise me in the least this has been a strange year, geese laying in early fall some laying eggs, My goslings at 4 months were mating with my 7 yr old gander, well one was and still is. It's been a crazy year. It's going to be rough having goslings this time of year. Are you going to let her sit?

5. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    She doesn't seem interested and since I have only had them a couple of months, I feel they are still unsettled so I want to incubate them. I know it means a mess in the house and it's been messy since the first chicks hatched in May but I am eager to see the babies and have hopes that they would be old enough to lay for the season after this.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well have fun and make a very large brooder, we had 2 gosling in the house in June of this year and I can tell you we loved it but boy do they grow fast and are they messy. lol
    Keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by