1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No, I'm not kidding..... just curious.....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by beebiz, Sep 20, 2007.

1. beebiz

beebiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    I killed 3 more of my roos today. As I was dressing them, I remembered my grandmother and grandfather talking about keeping the "rooster fries" and enjoying eating them. Do/Have any of you tried them??? If so, what are they like??

Another thing I'd like to know is exactly where they are located. I know they're inside the roo, but where??? Are they the two "butterbean" shaped, cream colored things that were about 1 3/4" to 2" long that I found along the back?? Other than what I've said and saying that they had several small veins on them, I don't know how else to describe them.

As I said in the subject line, I'm not joking at all. Nor am I trying to be "cutsie!" I really am curious and am trying to learn.

Thanks,
    Robert

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The butter bean things I do believe would be the rooster fries if the name is as convoluting as rocky mountain oysters. They are along the back.

Never ate them though so couldn't tell you how they are.

3. That's interesting.
    Never heard of them, but I'll be on the look-out when next I process roosters.

Lisa

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think the roosters testicles are what is being alluded to. Right? Or am I way off?[​IMG]

5. beebiz

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    Quote:You hit the proverbial nail on the head, silkiechicken!!! Rooster fries are to roosters what mountain oysters are to boar pigs or bull fries are to bulls!!

Thanks for the information.

I told my wife (an LPN nurse of over 25 years) that I just knew that what I had was what I was looking for. "I know that's what they are, 'cause it was the only thing that I found that there were two of them!!" She pointed out to me that (at least in humans) there are two kidneys also. So, she shot my logic all to heck!! Ergo, my post!!

I've never tried them before either (not knowingly, anyway). But, I've eaten pork brains, beef tongue, chitterlings, mountain oysters, and several other things that the "average" person would find "unappetizing" and I liked each of them. So, I'm considering them...... just not quite convinced yet!!!!

Thanks again for the input and information!!

Robert

6. beebiz

Jul 2, 2007
    W. Tennessee
    Silkie chicken, you must have posted while I was typing my reply. I'm not very quick at it!!

Yes, I am talking about the testicles!

Robert

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    No, my husband inflicted calf fries on me and that was bad enough! The guys had them defrosting in the bath tub, without warning, and I thought i'd run across a murder scene for a minute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by