NO Incubator is it to cold for a broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by green homesteader, Oct 15, 2011.

1. green homesteader

green homesteader Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Southren Tier NY
    We have no incubator, we depend on our hens to do the job. It is colder here the nights dropping down to 30 degrees, can a broody hen still hatch under those conditions?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I won't see why not if you have a warm place for her and chicks when they hatch.

3. green homesteader

Oct 15, 2011
    Southren Tier NY
    I can keep the broody hen in a smaller area with a heat lamp to keep her and chicks warm, But how warm should I keep a hen who is sitting on eggs?

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    a good broody can hatch with those temps. but i would give her chicks some heat, i had game hens hatch and raise chicks ,very late fall. No heat at all.

5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would use a red light so it doesn't disturb her. I have bought 85 watt red flood lights at Walmart that work good. You don't want it to close to her just enough to heat her area a little. Like you would be if you had a coat on. I would probably shoot for around 65-70 degree's. Some else might have a better figure.
    Michele

6. green homesteader

Oct 15, 2011
    Southren Tier NY
    I guess it is worth a try! [​IMG]
    I really want to hatch these eggs!

7. green homesteader

Oct 15, 2011
    Southren Tier NY
    Thanks, Michele.

I have a brooding light with a red bulb it is 250 watt. I only worry about giving a hen sitting on eggs a light. I have always thought keep laying boxes and hens on eggs out of the light to prevent egg eating?? I have not ever had an egg eater and never want one.

8. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't blame you, I don't want one either. But if it isn't that cold in your coop she should be fine. Mine is insulated and holding around 65 degrees right now and we have furious winds going on yesterday and today, no one wants to go out except for my 14 week old girls who are all over the dead garden eating up the last of goodies. I have eggs in my bator right now. I love hatching. I have 2 momma's with chicks that are 4 weeks old. One of them keeps losing her chicks. I'm going to lock up the run tomorrow while I'm at work I think a hawk or neighbors cats are getting them.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Broodies don't need heat, nor do their chicks. The chicks get their warmth from mama's body.

There's another thread running about a mama who had her 2 or 3 day chicks out in freezing temps. I've had the same, or nearly. They will run under her and warm up then go out again.

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

10. green homesteader

Oct 15, 2011
    Southren Tier NY
    Thank you Judy! [​IMG]

Michele we have the same winds. One of my Roosters braved it earlier and I thought he was going to be blown away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by